PDA

View Full Version : Home made steam away

nymapleguy607
11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure if this is possible but I would like to try and build something along the lines of a steam away unit. I currently don't have an evaporator, just a couple of flat pans and I'm trying to push up my gallons per hour any way I can. I already have forced air and preheater and with that I can boil just about 20 gal per hour with good wood and I thought maybe some type of steam away unit could be a little more affordable at the time being. Any body with some suggestions or pictures of a unit would be very helpful or anybody that might have a better idea would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff

royalmaple
11-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Jeff-

Dave(3%solution) is in the process of making a steam away. I'm sure he'll be happy to share the experience with you. he's on here regularly so I'm sure you'll be getting a message from him in the near future.

220 maple
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
They can be homemade, just don't copy them exactly as a factory model, A producer in Someset County, Pa. made two of them. He operates two 6 by 16 evaporators, rumor has it Leader Evaporator was threating to sue for copyright infringement. If he would sale one he would be in deep doo doo. Don't call it a steam-away, or piggyback. Use a fake name for sure!

Mark 220 Maple

3% Solution
11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Jeff,
I am having a fabricator make me an evaporation inhancement unit for my unusual sized, home-made evaporator.
With all this said, I don't know if this type of unit or a steam-away would help you that much as you may not have the large amount of sustained secondary heat that you get from a flue pan and that is where you would set this unit onto.
However, I don't have that answer and you can only try.
It will be expensive, mine is being made of copper and stainless steel.
Do you have someone near you that has a unit to look at and / or take pics?
Let me know.

Dave