PDA

View Full Version : How far can an electric releaser pump?

Maplewalnut
04-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Looking for some experience since I have heard both sides about using an electric releaser pump to pump long distances. My current set up has sap going to a mechanical releaser and tank about 200 feet from sugarhouse and about 30 feet lower in elevation. If I ran electric and put in a electrical releaser, could the pump in the releaser pump all the way up to a tank inside the sugarhouse? Or am I stuck with a float in tank and a offset deep well pump?

Thanks
Mike

GeneralStark
04-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Yes totally possible to do this with an electric releaser. The question is are you looking to diy or purchase from a supplier?

A deep-well submersible would probably de ideal. I would go with a 3-phase pump so you can control it with a vfd as that would help reduce the size of wire you'll need and will be easier on the pump as it wont be slamming on and off. Other considerations are sizing the pump out line and check valve placement. you don't want that line to freeze obviously.

if you are looking to purchase talk to Clayton at mes.

Kh7722
04-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Absolutely possible, I currently have an electric releaser in a pump house and pump it aboit 600 feet with an elevation cjange of aboit 35 feet. I feel that i could probably pump another 2-300 feet with no issues. Plus they are continous vacuum so that helps with a tighter system, have about 650 taps on it now and plan to double over next few years. Hope that helps and good luck

heus
04-20-2019, 01:54 PM
For several years I used an electric releaser with external Goulds pump that pumped uphill about 150 feet or so. It was a rise of about 25 feet I think.

ALSMAPLE
04-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Looking for some experience since I have heard both sides about using an electric releaser pump to pump long distances. My current set up has sap going to a mechanical releaser and tank about 200 feet from sugarhouse and about 30 feet lower in elevation. If I ran electric and put in a electrical releaser, could the pump in the releaser pump all the way up to a tank inside the sugarhouse? Or am I stuck with a float in tank and a offset deep well pump?

Thanks
Mike
I pump 800 feet with at least 60 feet of head( and then some downhill from there)
on a 110 volt 1 hp deep well pump running in the releaser with 27 or more inches of vacuum.

Shaun
04-20-2019, 06:31 PM
If you want to build I found this site useful. It has all the pump curves for deep well pumps and helps you size depending on what you need.

https://www.aquascience.net/products/pumps-tanks-well-components

S.S.S
04-21-2019, 09:02 PM
I currently have a MES releaser with 1300 taps coming into it at 27-28” vacuum. Pump is a 1/2hp 10gpm 3 phase and we are pumping it 2800’ with a 60’ elevation rise. Works wonderful and wouldn’t go any other way.

hogisland42
04-22-2019, 06:21 AM
I have one and pump 600 ft and up and over a road. My problem is the sap freezing in the line. What are you guys doing about that. I cant figure out a solution.

Chasefamily
04-22-2019, 07:42 AM
I had the same problem with pumping 600' and about 75' in elevation. i ended up having to drain the line back when i knew it was going to freeze hard. halfway through the year i ended up just putting a tank down there and pumping all up at once when i needed it.

Maplewalnut
04-22-2019, 08:30 AM
I have one and pump 600 ft and up and over a road. My problem is the sap freezing in the line. What are you guys doing about that. I cant figure out a solution.

I figured I would need to drain it if hard freeze was forecasted. Almost be insurance to run two lines so one would be clear at any given time for an unexpected freeze.

GeneralStark
04-22-2019, 10:02 AM
The freeze-up issue can be handled different ways. If you are pumping flat or downhill you can pump straight up from the releaser, have the check valve at the highest point and then slope the pipe well so it will drain. The section of pipe between the check valve and pump will drain back to the releaser.

The most clever system for pumping uphill that I have seen involved running a smaller pipe, 1.25" for example, inside a larger diameter pipe and then running water through the larger pipe to keep the inner pipe from freezing.

Draining the pipe is certainly an option as well. There are have to be other solutions out there as well that folks have come up with.

Kh7722
04-22-2019, 10:33 AM
I let the system run untill it stops coming in, at that point i do drain the pump line into a 50 gallon tank in the pump house, drains back everytime and close the drain valve. Leave vacuum on and next day when it starts running its good to go. Anytime after that i open the valve at the bottom of the releaser and suck the sap from the plumbed tank into the releaser and it pumps back up to sugarhouse. Works great and only takes about 3-4 to drain and a few min to pump back up.

Maplewalnut
05-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Ok, I think I am going to pull the trigger on this set up. Just need a ball park number for running electrical say 200 ft to a new pump house. What size wire do you guys recommend? Releaser with 1hp pump and probably small heater

Thanks
Mike

JoeJ
05-03-2019, 09:06 AM
I ran 10-2 wg UF 380' to a tank for a 1 HP Goulds (120V) pump to pump up the 380' and the 35' height to the sugar house. I used the set up for 12 years. Last year I installed an electric releaser with a 240V 1/2 HP pump. I ran a second 10-2 UF line to run the new pump and use the old 10-2 line to run the heater and lights in the shed. Works just fine. I would suggest 2 electric runs just for safety and reliability.

Joe

doocat
05-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Mike I run two of MES’ releasers with internal three phase pump. I would reccomend them, always helpful when I have a question. Craig

unc23win
05-04-2019, 09:42 AM
I got a 500’ of 10-3 burry wire from Denney Electric cheapest I found for $480 they sell it by the foot up 1000’.

wiam
05-04-2019, 03:16 PM
I got a 500’ of 10-3 burry wire from Denney Electric cheapest I found for $480 they sell it by the foot up 1000’.

Are you talking 10-2 with ground or 10-3?

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/10-2-w-ground-uf-b-underground-feeder-wire-125-500-or-1000ft-coil.html