PDA

View Full Version : Looking to switch taps

steve J
04-11-2019, 04:45 PM
I been using Leader check valves on leader black stubbier. I do like how they perform but I hate how the taps are awful to remove from the stubbier. I have used these because I get my lines ready in fall and I don’t put out check valve until I tap in February. What other taps do you favor and why?

Ultimatetreehugger
04-11-2019, 07:36 PM
H20 blue spouts. They tighten right up and rarely back out.

Russell Lampron
04-12-2019, 05:21 AM
I use the Leader CV2 spouts and change them every year. They seat in the trees well and you can see the sap coming coming out of the tree. I tap in February and they still produce good in April. You do need a good tap puller like the one that CDL makes to pull them though. The cheap red ones bend too easy and a claw hammer won't do it either. You do have to cut about 3/4" off of the drop every year and you'll need to change to cup tees if you change over from stubbies.

steve J
04-12-2019, 07:34 AM
My problem with cv2 spouts is I don't want to be putting them on in the snow. I want my lines ready to in November.

motowbrowne
04-12-2019, 07:52 AM
My problem with cv2 spouts is I don't want to be putting them on in the snow. I want my lines ready to in November.

Why don't you want to install CV taps (not adapters) in November?

hogisland42
04-12-2019, 09:09 AM
H20 blue spouts. They tighten right up and rarely back out.I agree with this. I switched to 1/4 h2o blue spouts this year and really like them. They seal great in the tree!

maple flats
04-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Use cup tees with the CV2, put them on in November or even October, then drill in Feb if that is your tapping time. Except for falling trees and limbs they will still be good to go. On new drops you can use a lower cost seasonal spout in year 1, then a CV2 in years 2-3-4 or whatever your drop change interval is. Mine is every 3 years, new taps every year.

steve J
04-19-2019, 03:17 PM
I thought if I had the regular CV's on line in November they might not work well by tapping time late February. I may re- think this. I am going to run as much new line as possible this year so might be a chance to try a new tap like the H20 tap.

Mead Maple
04-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Subscribing to this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sapmaple
04-20-2019, 09:11 AM
I been using Leader check valves on leader black stubbier. I do like how they perform but I hate how the taps are awful to remove from the stubbier. I have used these because I get my lines ready in fall and I don’t put out check valve until I tap in February. What other taps do you favor and why?

Are you using the black CV We switch to the clear CV adapter it has two lines in the plastic that you can see and we only tap the stubby in to the first line. Does it just snap apart in your hand NO
but I carry a small water pump pliers that stay in my hand, pop the adapter out of tree grab stubby in one hand and quite twist on adapter with pliers and comes right apart. However if you pound the stubby in past that first line yeah your going to struggle. If you tap when the sap is flowing you really have to be careful when tapping or it will slip right in to far