PDA

View Full Version : Scale remover for glass jars

Galena
04-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Hey all. My property has very hard water and this even shows up in the bottles and jugs I use for storing syrup in. I know it's harmless but it looks awful to have that cloudy film son the inside. The design of the jugs makes using a bottle brush impractical. Is there a safe alternative?

NhShaun
04-11-2019, 06:39 AM
You could try soaking with a mixture of water in vinegar. They do have some small bottle brushes for narrow neck bottles too.

to100
04-11-2019, 08:07 AM
I have same problem. I tried vinager helped. This year I soaked in permeate with very good results. Maybe you know a neighbor that can give you some.

Galena
04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Thanks, I do know some people who have permeate but they aren't too close...and may use it that way themselves! I think I'll try straight vinegar for now. I think bleach is an alternative too, but I'd rather not use it.

Bruce L
04-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Susan I would go for the permeate,definitely not the bleach,and even vinegar I would be afraid of leaving a taste in the bottle

Galena
04-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Susan I would go for the permeate,definitely not the bleach,and even vinegar I would be afraid of leaving a taste in the bottle

Do you have any permeate kickin around, Bruce? I don't know how much I would need, but I have a good 1-2 dozen bottles that really need it. Trying vinegar for now followed by lots of rinsing. Making sure there is no vinegar smell left.

Bruce L
04-12-2019, 05:07 AM
No,sorry Susan,we quit Sunday night,distillate from steam away is in pans cleaning them

Super Sapper
04-12-2019, 05:59 AM
You could also purchase distilled water. The should be at least as good as permeate.

Galena
04-12-2019, 07:17 AM
You could also purchase distilled water. The should be at least as good as permeate.

I can get distilled. Just use it straight?

Bruce L
04-12-2019, 07:25 AM
I can get distilled. Just use it straight?
Yes use it straight,should “eat” everything right off the glass

Galena
04-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Yes use it straight,should “eat” everything right off the glass

Really? Oh cool! Must try it tonight :-) thanks Bruce!

ETA: Tried it on a really gunked-up bottle from last year, and now I can't tell it apart from the brand-new ones. What a great way to get the scale off without killing the environment! A couple 15l jugs of it will be in the shopping cart today!