PDA

View Full Version : springtech 600 capibilities.

KReinisch
04-08-2019, 09:34 AM
I have a springtech 600 with a 7.5 hp upgrade. I had a brand new membrane in there this year and Im wondering if I should have been able to get more from it. I was taking 2% to 10% at around 1.5 gpm on the concentrate flow meter. Does that seem right. I here of guys going to 15%. I also could only take my 1% to about 6% with 1 gpm flow.

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Most standard membranes have about a 4.7X concentration factor, so going from 2-10% is about as good as you're going to get unless you have additional bells and whistles...same for 1-6%. Since you're operating right to the max limit of the machine, your concentrate flow rates will be quite low...especially if you're trying to push it to a real high concentration. What is the total flow rate (permeate + concentrate) and sap temperature? Have you benchmarked the machine at all? Are you soap washing and rinsing the membranes -- how often?

We had a Springtech 600 (1 membrane), then upgraded to a 1000E (2 membranes with an additional boost pump), which we later added another post to (3 membranes). It would go to 15% fairly easily, but I believe it was configured as a 2+1 (2 membranes in parallel feeding the third in series). Pretty unlikely you'll do 15% in one pass unless you start with sweet sap. You might check with Steve Childs at the Cornell Arnot Forest. They bought that machine from us, so he should be up well versed in operating Springtech ROs.

n8hutch
04-08-2019, 10:11 AM
I think that you are probably just seeing the limits of a single post R.O. , my 600 will do 2 to 10 in a single pass but only flows about. 3/4 gpm concentrate. I have a 3.5? Hp CDL

I go to 15 all the time but I recirculate up to about 5% and them second pass the concentrate to 15-16%, this is still not ideal.

Best thing to do would be first pass into a second tank, and then draw off that second tank for your second pass, you'll get much better flow rates .

GeneralStark
04-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Yes to what Nate says. You're dong the best you can do on one pass. I suggest concentrating to one tank, and then passing that concentrate again to your head tank if you want to see higher brix.

KReinisch
04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
I rinse every night and I have soap washed every other use.

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Then to get to the higher concentrate level, as both Nate and the General state, you might want to consider doing two passes or recirculate. Take care to process it quickly if you do, as it'll warm up each time it goes through the RO.

KReinisch
04-08-2019, 12:20 PM
I always process right away. I will eithetr have to get another post or do the circulation thing.

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2019, 12:39 PM
A second post plumbed in series will get you to a higher Brix level, but will likely increase your throughput only somewhat (each membrane is doing a little less "work"). If it is plumbed in parallel, you'll get higher throughput, but your concentration level won't increase. You'll have to decide which is more important.

KReinisch
04-08-2019, 01:00 PM
I am thinking I need higher concentration. I would love to get 1.5 gpm of 12-15%

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Then 2-passes might be your best bet.

Sunday Rock Maple
04-08-2019, 10:08 PM
A clarification on the second pass is that it need not be into a separate tank. If you send your output back to the raw sap tank it will also build up to the 12 percent range fairly quickly.

maple flats
04-09-2019, 06:33 AM
My RO is a low end, Deer Run 250. I get about 2% to 7.5-8% in one pass, then send it to my head tank. From There I recirculate back thru the RO. I usually only go to 10-12% but I went to 15% on the weekend. It was the first ime in a long time I've gone high enough that I needed to use my high brix concentrate hydrometer, my 0-12% is usually enough, I had to use my 0-35% on Sunday. It did lighten the syrup. I was on Dark, but that took it back to Amber.