PDA

View Full Version : *peach jam* syrup...how to fix?

Galena
04-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Hey all, it's been long enough since I've had this problem that I've forgotten how to fix it! In two recent batches, my syrup tastes fine but looks cloudy due to sugar and/or nitre suspended in the syrup. Really annoying as I very carefully worked them both to proper density, but almost 24 hrs later they STILL look like jam.

I guess it could be linked to the freakishly high sugar content this year, but if I try to fix it again with fresh sap or distilled I'm mucking around with an otherwise perfectly fine couple batches of syrup. Help!

Sugarmaker
04-07-2019, 08:07 AM
My guess would be something changed in your filtering process to allow the sugarsand to come through?
Regards,
Chris

Galena
04-07-2019, 08:11 AM
My guess would be something changed in your filtering process to allow the sugarsand to come through?
Regards,
Chris

No changes at all to my process. It isn't nitre. It's suspended sugar.

Sugarmaker
04-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Ok I was confused when you said niter or sugar? I dont think I could tell what suspended sugar looks like? Havent ever seen that?
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
04-07-2019, 08:35 AM
No changes at all to my process. It isn't nitre. It's suspended sugar.

If you adjusted to proper density it can't be sugar...

Galena
04-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Chris - Nitre settles out into the syrup. The suspended sugar just hangs there in the syrup.

John - I did mention that there has been a very high sugar content this year, and in fact I already have added distilled and reheated the syrup to the batches in question cause they were too dense. But then I checked the syrup again, using both a hydrometer and a hydrotherm, and they were in the correct range for density....but they STILL have suspension in them. Hence the head-scratching.