PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Grades: This Year vs. Last

30AcreWoods
04-06-2019, 11:55 PM
Curious as to what people are seeing for volume of each grade this year vs. last. The seasons were so different. Last season started very early and lasted a long time. Despite that, I didn't make much delicate or amber at all. This year, I have yet to make anything but delicate and amber. Same trees, same RO, same evaporator. Same operator. It's very interesting.

Russell Lampron
04-07-2019, 05:22 AM
I usually make mostly Amber with a little Golden and if I'm lucky some Dark. I added a second membrane tower to my RO for this season and concentrate to a higher percentage than before and have made mostly Dark with some Amber and a batch of Golden.

DRoseum
04-07-2019, 05:54 AM
I made almost entirely golden delicate (~5.5 gallons). Around 2 quarts of amber rich, and less than a quart of dark robust:
https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/2019-maple-syrup-season-recap.html

Sugarmaker
04-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Last year mostly dark grades. This year lots of amber and a little dark to few gallons very dark at the end. A more normal season this year.
Regards,
Chris

Tweegs
04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
It seems we went the other way.

Last year: 40% of our crop was Amber, 50% dark, 10% very dark and no Golden.
This year: 10% Amber, 80% dark, 10 % very dark and no Golden.

Last year, we were about a week late getting the taps in and missed the first good run.
I believe that’s where my golden went.

This year we were all tapped in and ready prior to the first run.

We normally tap mid to late Feb and finish up the first week of April.
This year, due to the persistent cold, taps went in March 15th and we just finished up last Friday (4-5).

Even though we only had about half a season, we still made 90% of our normal crop.
We had just as many boils and used just about as much wood as we do in a normal season.
Sap was coming in nearly every day.

jwmiller
04-08-2019, 10:11 AM
question for you guys... newbie here - how do you grade your syrup? I've seen the color scale before... do you just print that off and hold it up to a jar of syrup and see what color matches it? Is it that simple?

Sugarmaker
04-08-2019, 03:27 PM
JW,
A couple options on grading syrup.
A grading kit with small bottles can be purchased and then you have spare bottles to fill with your syrup and you look through the bottles and judge the grade by eye.
Another way is to purchase a Hanna (brand) Checker which will give you a actual number for the grade (color) using light transmissiblity. Sample bottles in that kit are small.

Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2019, 04:09 PM
how do you grade your syrup? I've seen the color scale before... do you just print that off and hold it up to a jar of syrup and see what color matches it? Is it that simple?

It is most definitely NOT that simple (that approach will not work). As Chris indicates, a grading kit (temporary=cheap or permanent=expensive) or a Hannah Checker (modest price). Then again, if you're not selling syrup, you may not need to grade it. Check your local regulations.

Note that the word "temporary" in "Temporary Grading Kit" means just that. It is technically good for one year. The colors can fade over time, especially if exposed to light. If you notice that you're having a hard time making Golden/Delicate (formerly "Fancy" or "Light Amber") syrup, it might just be your grading kit has faded.