PDA

View Full Version : Overflowing pans?

Sunnyacres
04-06-2019, 09:24 PM
This was our last boil of the season and the finish pan had so many bubbles/foam in it, it almost overflowed. Could not control it with defoamer. The only way to stop it was shut the fan off and kill the fire. What happened?

wiam
04-06-2019, 10:34 PM
This was our last boil of the season and the finish pan had so many bubbles/foam in it, it almost overflowed. Could not control it with defoamer. The only way to stop it was shut the fan off and kill the fire. What happened?

Late season sap can do that.

maple flats
04-07-2019, 06:57 AM
Likely a sugar sand build up on the bottom.

Sugarmaker
04-07-2019, 08:05 AM
How deep are your pans? Are you using std defoamer? When was the last time you had boiled and was the sap kept cool?
You may have encountered some ropy syrup? What was the color of the bubbles?
Regards,
Chris

Sunnyacres
04-07-2019, 08:54 AM
How deep are your pans? Are you using std defoamer? When was the last time you had boiled and was the sap kept cool?
You may have encountered some ropy syrup? What was the color of the bubbles?
Regards,
Chris

Pan is 7” deep and running 1.75 deep. Yes using std defoamer from last year. It has worked all season. I had some ropey syrup at the beginning of the week but boiled that thru. Bubbles looked like normal syrup bubbles when we are close to syrup but I checked every partition and was not close to syrup. We just lit the fire less than 45 minutes when this happened.

regor0
04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190407/91f5b79c8205d8397ebd509e023dcb06.jpg

Had the same thing a couple years ago. Usually means season is over. No matter how much defoamer I put in nothing happened.

DrTimPerkins
04-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Yes using std defoamer from last year.

As in Atmos? Karsher?

Either way, if you're using a standard (non-organic) defoamer and this is happening...you're likely at or near the end.

Sunnyacres
04-07-2019, 06:39 PM
So we dumped everything from flue pan and syrup pan in buckets thru filters cleaned everything and starting finishing in the syrup pan and it’s boiling like normal. Thought the syrup pan was going to have a thick layer of of buildup on the bottom but it was actually pretty clean well the season is over for us pulled Taps cleaned everything and just finishing the remaining pan juices.

Sugarmaker
04-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info and picture. To me that just looks like syrup way over temp? But thats just my read of your picture. Yea I would have been adding defoamer too!:)
Regards,
Chris