PDA

View Full Version : Fine-tuning boil depth

CampHamp
04-05-2019, 02:20 PM
As the level in my head tank drops, I need to adjust the float to keep enough depth in my pan. When I drop a notch, the level shifts 1/2 inch and that is a big shift. So, I added a cup of stones that I move along the float to give me finer control. Thought others might be interested or want to share their own solutions.

RileySugarbush
04-05-2019, 03:16 PM
clever!

My float came with a screw for fine tuning. We typically don't need to adjust it for level changes though.

Another thing you could consider is moving your head tank higher, so the % change in pressure at the float would not be as big between full and empty. That could reduce the problem.

The sap level in our tank varies between 5' and 7' above the float valve.

maple flats
04-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Same here, I have a screw to adjust but don't need to adjust as the head tank level changes.

Bruce L
04-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Ours has fine adjustments on float as well,never touch it though,feed line from head tank is large enough,(1.25”) that sap comes in full bore when tank is getting low. Steam away is no longer at boiling depth,but with just steam underneath it don’t get too worried

buckeye gold
04-06-2019, 06:30 AM
I never adjust mine either. I don't even have much head height. I think it is more a matter of having a large enough line into your float box.

CampHamp
04-06-2019, 04:15 PM
I don’t have much “head” so the pressure variance is pretty large for me. If I want to boil fast and keep the level under an inch then I do this. I think I might put my tank a couple feet higher next year to see if that improves things.