PDA

View Full Version : Which Weather Forecast is the Best

BlueDevil1442
04-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Which weather forecast is the best? Accuweather shows freezing nights all next week, but weather.com shows warmer night?

mol1jb
04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Flip of a coin sometimes.

berkshires
04-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Neither. I'd go with NOAA. That's where everybody gets their data from anyway.

Go here: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.2308&lon=-73.0568#.XKZr55hKhhE

Then scroll about halfway down the page until you see the map. Find exactly on the map where your sugarbush is, and click there. You'll get a customized point forecast for that specific location and elevation, which you can drill down to the hour-by-hour on the page if you want. After you get your point forecast, I'd suggest you bookmark that page so you don't have to keep selecting it on the map.

Cheers,

Gabe

DrTimPerkins
04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
None of them are always right. I've found that DarkSky, a "hyperlocal" weather app is pretty good most of the time, but a degree or two off makes a huge difference. You can actually set it up for custom notifications on your phone, so you can be notified if the temp goes above a certain threshold, or falls below a set point.

We see with our Smartrek system that the temperature varies a good deal (4-5 deg F) across the sugarbush, so even if one place freezes up, another can still be running hard.

Beyond a few days a forecast isn't worth much except for a general indication.

ecolbeck
04-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Neither. I'd go with NOAA. That's where everybody gets their data from anyway.

Go here: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.2308&lon=-73.0568#.XKZr55hKhhE

Then scroll about halfway down the page until you see the map. Find exactly on the map where your sugarbush is, and click there. You'll get a customized point forecast for that specific location and elevation, which you can drill down to the hour-by-hour on the page if you want. After you get your point forecast, I'd suggest you bookmark that page so you don't have to keep selecting it on the map.

Cheers,

Gabe
I agree that NOAA is the best and is where others get much of their data. Weather.com without a doubt has the most convenient website and app and is useful for casual weather checking. However it is a business who’s businesss model is based around exaggeration and using aggressive language to describe weather. They are selling fear. They regularly overpredict snowfall amounts in my region. The government tends to have more accurate forecasts and has nothing to sell us and their website isn’t cluttered with ads and stupid videos.