PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon syrup

Jfillion
04-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Has anyone tried making bourbon syrup? Hot packed, how long are you leaving in the barrels? I was thinking of trying it, any advice? Thanks

Road's End
04-03-2019, 06:29 AM
I've done 2, 5 gallon barrels. If the barrels aren't very fresh they will most likely leak from drying out, so a soak may be needed. 4 months was the aging time I used and worked great with the 5 gallon barrels, everyone loves it. The barrels were used for a wheat whiskey from a craft distillery.

maple flats
04-03-2019, 07:00 AM
I've made several batches since 2017. I only made 2 in 5 gal barrels, they took 3-3.5 months to get to the perfect balance of maple and bourbon flavor. The rest thus far have been in 10 gal barrels, but I recently got a 15 gal to do a batch. I now have 2 batches going in 10's and the 15 will be filled most likely late this week. The 10 gal barrels take 6-7 months to age. I just fill a barrel with 190-200 F syrup, then I spray a water mist on them every day for about 2 weeks, turning them each time. After that I taper off over the next 3-4 weeks from daily to every other day, then 2x a week. I build a "moving dolly" to set mine on and they then are set in a commercial size baking sheet, the dolly is placed wheels up. Then it is easy to turn the barrel. In the heat of summer, my shop (that's where I age them) gets hot. I then put a plastic bag (from what jugs are packed in in cases of jugs) over them to help reduce the evaporation rate and I spray them daily if the temperature gets over 85F. That has proven to be my best seller by far, units wise, not gallons wise. I bottle them in 2 sizes, 200ml and 375 ml.
When a barrel is opened, you need to heat it and filter it, lots of the char from in the barrel will be in the syrup. I also heat it twice, once to about 200 in my finisher and let it set overnight (my finisher has a cover). Then I heat it to 205-210, and send it thru my filter press, then to my WJ bottler. There it is kept at 185 F for 12-16 hrs before bottling. I then density check, adjust as needed and bottle it.
I do those heatings to evaporate off alcohol, if you are doing it for personal use only, you might want the little alcohol that may be in it, I don't.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Has anyone tried making bourbon syrup? Hot packed, how long are you leaving in the barrels? I was thinking of trying it, any advice? Thanks

Road's End....care to share where you got the 5 gallon barrels? We would like to try making some. We're in Peru, so not far from you.

Road's End
04-03-2019, 07:32 PM
I bought them online, etsy to be exact. Kind of a random thing to buy from that site, but it's not too easy to find 5 gallon barrels. They were pricey as well, $165 each after shipping. I'll probably try a 15 gallon next time I do it.

grimmreaper
04-03-2019, 08:33 PM
We offer 3 different size barrels for sale here at Grimm's Maple products.
5 gal @$130eA.
10 gal @$190ea.
15 gal @ $215eA.
While supply last..plus shipping

petit erabliere
12-25-2019, 09:45 AM
i want buy a Bourbon Barrel around 10 gls for fill with maple syrup do you know where i can buy it and if its in usa how can shipit in quebec or if ican where buy it in quebec

esetter
12-29-2019, 10:26 AM
I have done a hobbyist level bourbon barrel ish syrup. I take 4-5 3'' long by 1/2'' thick pieces of oak. Toast them in the oven. Soak those in bourbon for a month, take them out , hot pack syrup on them in quart jars. 6 weeks to 3 months aging produces very similar flavor to actually aging in a barrel. Nothing near the level you guys are doing but , I don't see why not if scaled up in size wouldn't work in 5-10 gallon batches.

Woodsrover
12-31-2019, 07:40 AM
I don't make that much syrup. But.....you can buy whiskey barrel chucks made for smokers. What about putting a few chunks of that into a two or three gallon glass jar and letting it sit for a few months?

Super Sapper
12-31-2019, 11:18 AM
You can also buy toasted chips and put in a mason jar with bourbon for a few weeks and then add the chip to syrup to infuse the flavor. I have not done it yet but several people have and say it works well.