PDA

View Full Version : beer

davey
11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
has anyone made Maple beer? My neighbor is a home brewer and is looking for recipes.

wdchuck
11-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Oooh, Oooh! Pick me, Pick me!..............I made some once with the dregs of the last boiling- no hydrometer reading on it, so I had no idea of the alcohol content, but it was pretty high. The taste was awful, kind of a treacle aftertaste- maybe a bit like a Harveys bristol cream with carbonation.However, I highly recommend lighter grades as a substitute for priming sugar-3/4 cup for a 5 gallon batch will give you a long lasting, creamy head on the brew-guaranteed!

MaplePancakeMan
11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I've never made it, but a friend of mine made it for me with some left-overs from the later boils.

My experience was it was roughly 18%alc strong a bit of an after taste. That was the first round.

He brought me a few packs about 3 months later that were just as strong but no after-taste went down smooth. Some kick to it though. Maybe it all settled out not really sure, it was decent either way to me.

Sugarmaker
11-03-2007, 08:08 AM
A young man I work with has maple beer on his brew list. I am sure he is looking to me to supply the maple syrup. Currently he is making a honey beer, that will be ready mid Dec. I will let you know.

Regards,
Chris

Pete33Vt
11-05-2007, 03:29 AM
A bunch of us made some last April. It turned out more of a maple wine, alcohol content is WAY UP. It was made with the remeining sap from the back pan and a few gallons from the front pan almost syrup. We add a few packages of hopps and a few of yeast. We had heated the sap and hops up and let them seep togehter then put the whole mixture into a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel put in a water seal and let it go for about 2months. What we ended up with has a strong maple flavor. But you have to let it breath when you open it. The taste takes some getting use to, but after a few boiling sodas and a cup or two of wine and you feel no pain. I have 13 bottles left.

eye8astonie
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
My first 80 gallons of sap are going toward a 5 gallon batch of maple beer this winter! Planning to let it sit on a couple vanilla beans in the secondary, carbonate it and put it in 16 oz. beer bottles.

Will post results!

NedL
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I made an ale replacing sap for the water throughout the process. I'll have to dig up the recipe. It was a great tasting beer. At first couldn't really taste any difference in flavor, but after a couple of months a mild earthy/maple flavor appeared. I'll be making more this year.

jemsklein
01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
i can't wait till im 18 to try some of that what did it taste like

matrob
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I have made several good tasting maple beers. The keys to my sucess have been using a wheat malt for part of the process and not too much syrup. A quart to 5 gallons seems to be a good starting point for a first batch. Too much syrup and you tend to get too much alcohol and a nasty twang to your beer.