PDA

View Full Version : Propogating maples from cuttings

Milton
04-02-2019, 01:05 PM
I have some silver and sugar maples I was interested in propogating. Can this be done with cuttings? If, so how?

Thanks

DrTimPerkins
04-02-2019, 01:51 PM
I have some silver and sugar maples I was interested in propogating. Can this be done with cuttings? If, so how?

Can it be done = YES. Can it be done simply = NO. Silvers might not be that bad, but sugar maples require cutting shoots at just the right stage (green wood), using rooting hormone, put into a light rooting soil mix that drains fairly well, and placing into a mist tent for a while, then transferring to new pots once roots are started, and watering frequently. It is a fine line between keeping them very moist, but not too wet. If done right, rooting of 80% or better can be expected. Not done right results in quite poor results.

Milton
04-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Thank you Dr. What stage of growth is best to take cuttings? I was going to try using dormant cuttings. Is it better to wait for new tip growth?

I know the basics of propogation. I might just try the silvers. Thanks

DrTimPerkins
04-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Yes, you want to use new growth (green wood) cuttings.

This might help. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-maple-tree-cuttings-45504.html

Milton
04-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Just the info I was looking for. Thank you.

buckeye gold
04-02-2019, 06:20 PM
when I was working in the nursery business (duh 40 years ago) and propagating trees, shrubs, grapes, berries and shrubs we started a lot of plants from cuttings, but we preferred seedling production for Maples. It's pretty simple from seeds. They need stratified for winter, but sprout easily. We had good luck bundling cuttings and semi burying them in sawdust. You can't use new sawdust as it is too acid. We tented the tubs and ran a humidifier over cuttings. They would callus in the sawdust and start roots then we'd break the bundle and let them root separately in the sawdust. All this was done in a low light room. we would wheel them out in the mornings and let them weather harden a few hrs until fall then we'd heel them in, in a cool room ( let it get cold but not freeze and maintain moist soil) for the winter as their dormancy. it was amazing how much of a root system they would gain over the winter. We'd start to take them out in the spring to gain hardiness and plant them in the fields in May. we had our starting beds on wheels as we were managing up to 10,000 cuttings.

canaanmaple
04-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Not exactly cutting propagation, but I have been successful transplanting little saplings that I find growing on gas line right of ways. They will eventually be mowed down so I figured I am just saving them :)