PDA

View Full Version : Sugar sand

Altie22
03-28-2019, 08:23 PM
Last week i boiled 2 gallons of syrup on a flat 2x4 pan and filtered it with a cone filter and its the clearest syrup ive ever made. This week i made 4 and a half gallons in one batch and did everything same including same filter but after bottling its very cloudy. Any ideas what caused this?

buck3m
03-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Did you reheat after filtering? Any chance you had the filter inverted, or wrung it after cleaning it, or contaminated the "clean side?"

There might be some insight if you describe your filter cleaning, and syrup heating and filtering and bottling methods.

Altie22
03-28-2019, 09:00 PM
I just rinsed filter with water and tried to get it inside out but just got it as clean as i could till it looked clean and hung it dry. I heated the syrup on stove to 180 in stockpot with spigot to bottle. Thanks

buck3m
03-29-2019, 06:24 AM
I just rinsed filter with water and tried to get it inside out but just got it as clean as i could till it looked clean and hung it dry. I heated the syrup on stove to 180 in stockpot with spigot to bottle. Thanks

I clean a filter using hot water and a sink hose at maximum pressure, pushing the sugar sand from the clean side towards the sugar sand side, trying to avoid anything that will cause sugar sand to get on the clean side.

I prefer bottling right after filtering while the syrup is 185-190, but if I have to reheat I use a double boiler or stir it while heating to prevent hot spots that may cause more sugar sand to form.

Altie22
03-29-2019, 07:08 AM
I clean a filter using hot water and a sink hose at maximum pressure, pushing the sugar sand from the clean side towards the sugar sand side, trying to avoid anything that will cause sugar sand to get on the clean side.

I prefer bottling right after filtering while the syrup is 185-190, but if I have to reheat I use a double boiler or stir it while heating to prevent hot spots that may cause more sugar sand to form.

Thanks i think ill try a new filter and heat it alot slower next time while stirring it. If i re filter all my bottles can i use same caps or should i just start over?

buck3m
03-29-2019, 07:24 AM
Thanks i think ill try a new filter and heat it alot slower next time while stirring it. If i re filter all my bottles can i use same caps or should i just start over?

Use new caps.

tgormley358
03-29-2019, 11:15 AM
I’m Wondering if you cleaned the pan between batches? Niter build up from the first world affect the second.