PDA

View Full Version : Pick up tank retrofit.

super sappy
10-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Has anyone had any luck putting a larger lid on a poly pick up tank? The ones at tractor supply have a tiny hole and it seems like it is a pain to clean. I have found replacement lids online and was thinking of putting a 16" in the top center of the tank or will this affect the strenght of the tank and make it crack when full? Any other ideas? -super sappy

Sugarmaker
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
SS,
I am assuming you mean a mushroom style? like a 325 gallon?
They do make some tanks with the bigger lid built in. I bought a 325 leg type with a large hole 16 inch, and I really like it for ease of cleaning. Nice tank but was not cheap! I like it much better than the 210 mushroom style with the small hole. We poured sap into the 210 for several years and it was a pain.
I wouldn't think adding the new lid would effect the tank strength seems most of the tank strength should come from the sides.
Regards,
Chris

mountainvan
10-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I think cutting into the top would make it weaker. They really are not that hard to keep clean. I rinse mine out everyday with water, and when I go to town I put in about 20 gals of bleach water and let it slosh around for 70 miles. To town and back. Then rinse it real well with water.

Sugarmaker
10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
SS,MountianV,
I agree that if they are kept clean its not bad but if one gets funky they would be really tough to clean out. I have used some bleach and hot water and this does a nice job too.
Chris

maplecrest
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
super, the best thing to do with that tank is sell it and get one with the legs with the manhole in the middle. i get in my 550 plastic transport to wash it and there are still corners that you cannot get clean. one thing about plastic is that it is not glass smooth inside and turns black in no time. i had a 1100 gallon plastic storage tank that i had one season. every time i put sap in it i lost a grade. got in it to clean it but sap sat in it too long waiting to be boiled. as for the 550 on truck now i load and unload and wash as fast as i can to try to hold my grade.

super sappy
11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I have not purchased a tank yet. I have alwayse collected in open top pickel barrels. This year I will add taps and need the pickel barrels for tubing. I ushally collect at the roadside then pump to a stainless bulk tank within the hour at the sugarhouse. With the new tank I just got I should have about 575 gallons of storage in two tanks at the sugarhouse. Maybe a leg tank is the way to go. I am not opposed to an older galvanized sap gathering tank but I have not been able to find one in good shape at the right price. Thanks for the input everyone-SUPER SAPPY PS-Maple crest -do you have some guys in your town that do specalized rust proofing on trucks? I saw a business card where I was working the other day and I was wondering if these guys do what the garage owner said? (spray oil then dirt road undercoat) _ss

maplecrest
11-03-2007, 07:34 AM
yes carraras hot oil. just had my truck done. then drive down a dusty road. need to do in summer for best results. if done a arainy day you thru 70 dollars out the window. for what you would pay for a gal tank you can get a 550 or smaller leg tank. check tractor supply price you would have to order.