PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding sap other than maple.

Jarhead Jim
03-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Here in southwest Nebraska we have several trees to tap, Box Elder and Walnut. Do you still syrup at 66%-67% like you do with maple? First year trying this craft and absolutely no one around does it so hands on is outta the question. Learned quickly that cooking it down in the kitchen was a no no, had water dripping off of the cabinets, ceiling fan......Smoked a good kettle.... Made a large clean steel pan 5' by 3' by 4" deep. Worked much better.. Ordered a sap hydrometer that has the Baum, Brix scale. I make all sorts of alcohol so using the hydrometer isn't new to me, but all this stuff about boiling temps towards the end of the boil and all is new to me. Any help would greatly by appreciated. Jim

Run Forest Run!
03-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Hey Jim, I don't know about the density for walnut syrup, but a Box Elder is a maple so that's an easy one to answer.

tpathoulas
03-28-2019, 01:00 PM
I am still a novice syrup maker but when I started and for 3 years, I only used Boxelders. You absolutely use the same Bruce. It used to take 80-99 gallons of Boxelder sap to make one gallon of syrup. The syrup is good and has what I would consider a very sweet robust and unique flavor. Not in a bad way. It also made a very dark color syrup. Once I started tapping Sugar and Black Msples there was no going back to boxelders, for me. I realize that is not an option for you. You definitely want to cook outside unless you and your wife are ready for new wallpaper!
Best of luck,
Tom