PDA

View Full Version : Sap...too cloudy ???

sr73087
03-28-2019, 10:31 AM
This is from the last two weeks. Sap flow really slowed on me. 8 trees only just over 3 gallons of cloudy sap. Is it worth boiling?

whity
03-28-2019, 10:48 AM
How does it smell? If it stinks like spoiled milk then don't boil it. If it smells fine and tastes OK then boil it.

DrTimPerkins
03-28-2019, 10:54 AM
If it has been stored really cold for 2 weeks you might be OK. Otherwise not. Sap is like milk. Would you drink milk if it had been stored the same way this sap was for the past two weeks?

In addition to smelling it, reach in with a ladle and scoop some up and pour it out. Does it pour like liquid, or does it have strings of goop that cling to the ladle when poured. If at all stringy (you'll know it when you see it)....dump it.

Finally, put a little in a sauce pan and boil it on the stove. Smell the steam -- good or bad? Reduce it by about half, let it cool, and taste it. If it tastes good, then fine. If not, dump it.

Russell Lampron
03-29-2019, 05:18 AM
I agree with everyone else. Smell it, taste it, check to see if it's stringy and boil some down. If I dumped my sap every time it was a little cloudy I wouldn't make much syrup.