PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning creosote from flat pan

Userj8670
03-28-2019, 10:02 AM
What does everyone use? I have a 2x4 flat pan evap and the bottom of my pan is pretty bad. Have always used Barkeepers friend and a scrubbie but I am failing miserabl

ecolbeck
03-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Oven cleaner seems to do the trick for me.

Valley Maple
03-28-2019, 11:41 AM
I take the fine wood ashes left over from cleaning out fire box and mix it with a little water into a paste type form and rub it on bottom of my pans and it takes the black film right off the pans. I didn't think it would work when I heard about it but it does work for us.

berkshires
03-28-2019, 03:13 PM
I've been using a single-edged razor. Dunno if this is good or bad, so take it for what it's worth.

Mind you, I know this might not be kosher for the inside of the pan, but seems like it should be fine for the bottom, right?

BCPP
03-28-2019, 05:30 PM
I use oven cleaner and a pressure washer, seems to get most of it.

Sweet Shady Lane
03-28-2019, 07:55 PM
easy off oven cleaner , spray it on there and walk away for a half hour , use rubber gloves and a plastic putty knife , you might have to do this two or three times ,but it works for me

Sunnyacres
03-28-2019, 09:01 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but if we are talking about the side in firebox why not just use a putty knife and scrape it. If it gets scratched who cares it’s not like it’s in contact with syrup

Twisted Minds
03-28-2019, 09:49 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but if we are talking about the side in firebox why not just use a putty knife and scrape it. If it gets scratched who cares it’s not like it’s in contact with syrup

True that while not in contact with syrup, each of those scratches will "grab" onto more creosote each time you boil again, which in turn will reduce the maximum heat transfer into pan and into the sap. May be minimal, but for the sake of argument . . .

stoweski
03-29-2019, 05:44 AM
Fireplace cleaner, made by spray nine I believe. After pressure washing and letting it dry I use fireplace cleaner and it works for me.

Rockfallsmaple
03-29-2019, 02:27 PM
I coat the bottom of the pan with Dawn dish washing detergent before it goes on the arch, an old boy scout trick. The pan cleans up 95% with a garden hose and then I use a scotch bright pad for any stuck on stuff, it takes less than 5 minutes and the bottom is clean. Using this method it is the easiest cleanup of all the things that need cleaning while making syrup.

anchorhd
04-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Wooden shims. It's like peeling paint.

berkshires
04-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Wooden shims. It's like peeling paint.

Could you say more? I've not heard of this. What do you do with the shims?

anchorhd
04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
I use the thin end of the shim on the pan . Once under the black it peals little chips off. Around the edges is a little more effort.