PDA

View Full Version : Canning question

jwmiller
03-28-2019, 07:35 AM
What is the best process for canning syrup in mason jars for long term storage?

I just tried canning my first batch last night. I used brand new half pint mason jars. I cleaned the jars and lids before bottling. I let the syrup sit over night after finishing so I could separate the syrup from the niter sand. Filled the jars leaving a 1/4 inch of space and then covered and put the jars in boiling water for 12 minutes and then removed. Only 4 of my 12 half pint jars “popped” a while after I removed from the water. I don’t want to reheat the syrup for a 3rd time because I don’t want it to get darker. Any pointers or suggestions from you experts for my next batch would be greatly appreciated.

Run Forest Run!
03-28-2019, 08:02 AM
I really like keeping my syrup in the freezer for long term storage. I also use mason jars and just skip the whole canning process. Plus, I don't ever have to worry about them spoiling after all that hard work. If you have the space it's ideal.

BCPP
03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Heat the syrop to ~190F, fill the jars, screw on the lid and then turn upside down.

Lukie
03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
you're going to have to reheat to 180-190 and make sure your jars are in the oven at 200% and take them out and pour the hot syrup into them and put the lid on tight and lay them on the side by reheating the syrup you wont get any niter if you don't go over 190 stand them up after a few minutes and they should ping you don't have to hot bath the syrup

FanshaweGirl
03-28-2019, 12:31 PM
I go straight from finished temperature syrup on the stove, through the filter, and into canning jars. But if you're not filtering, you'll have to reheat the syrup.

Have the syrup in a pot on the stove, heat it to 190F
Boil a big pot of water, keep it just below boiling when you're ready to can.
Take a clean mason jar and put it in the hot water, roll it to make sure every part gets touched by hot water.
Take the jar out, dump out the water.
Fill the jar with syrup.
Take a snap lid and put it in the hot water for 20-30 seconds.
Put the snap lid and ring on, snug down finger tight, set the jar aside.
Repeat.

By sterilizing the jars and snap lids, there is no need to turn the jars upside down or lay them on their side.

I have been doing this for as long as I've been doing syrup, plus I do this with plenty of other types of canning. So far this year I've only had one jar not seal. Could have been a chip in the rim of the jar that I did not see, or a problem with the lid, or something else. It happens occasionally.
Water bath canning is not going to work very well.

buck3m
03-28-2019, 06:07 PM
What is the best process for canning syrup in mason jars for long term storage?

I just tried canning my first batch last night. I used brand new half pint mason jars. I cleaned the jars and lids before bottling. I let the syrup sit over night after finishing so I could separate the syrup from the niter sand. Filled the jars leaving a 1/4 inch of space and then covered and put the jars in boiling water for 12 minutes and then removed. Only 4 of my 12 half pint jars “popped” a while after I removed from the water. I don’t want to reheat the syrup for a 3rd time because I don’t want it to get darker. Any pointers or suggestions from you experts for my next batch would be greatly appreciated.

For small amounts of syrup, I like Karen's idea of freezing it.

Others have given you good advice. The Maple Syrup Producer's Manual says this:

"Settling/Sedimentation

This process is the simplest method for removing suspended solids from syrup. It involves simply placing finished syrup of the correct density in a large container, waiting for the suspended particles to settle out of the syrup, and then decanting the clarified syrup without disturbing the sediment. Though relatively simple in concept, this has process has several disadvantages and is not commonly used. One disadvantage is that the sedimentation process requires considerable time, a few days to a week or more. Further, even after settling, some fine particles may remain which can detract from the syrups perceived quality. Also, considerable care must is required to not disturb the sediment when decanting the clarified syrup."

When reheating already filtered syrup without a water jacketed or double boiler kind of setup, I've found that it's wise to stir the syrup to prevent near-boiling hot syrup along the bottom, thus precipitating more niter.

And lastly, it's entirely up to the preferences of you and those consuming your syrup, but I don't mind darker syrup at all, and although I'm commonly asked for dark syrup, I don't recall ever being asked for light syrup.

jwmiller
04-01-2019, 02:12 PM
I followed the above advice on my batch this week and have a follow up question...

My process: I got sap to 185 degrees, had brand new glass jars (that were previously cleaned in hot soapy water and subsequently dried) in oven at 200 degrees. Took glass jars out of the oven 2 at a time and instantly filled with ~185 degree syrup and put the two piece lids on and laid the jars on their side for about 5 minutes, then sat the jars upright. I did this with around a gallon of syrup and ended up with 16 jars. I'd say only half of the jars "popped" from what I could hear. All jars appear to be sealed as the top lid is concave (bent down towards bottom of jar) and can't be pressed up and down (like a button) like you can on an empty jar. Does this mean all my jars are sealed even though I didn't hear every one of them pop? maybe some of the pops were quieter than others and I just didn't hear them. I want to make sure I have a good seal as most of these jars will be sitting in a dark cupboard for about a year.

FanshaweGirl
04-01-2019, 02:49 PM
If the lids are sucked down and don't flex when pressed, they are sealed. They don't always make that lovely snap sound.