PDA

View Full Version : Depth gauge for tap holes

Daveg
03-27-2019, 06:36 PM
A convenient depth gauge for maple drill bits is a piece of tubing. It holds up better than electrical tape.19862

JoeJ
03-28-2019, 05:09 AM
The plastic will eventually wear down and change the depth that you are drilling. I bought a round metal drill bit stop fifteen years ago and am still using it. Once the set screws and depth are adjusted on the drill stop, it never moves. It cost me $4.50 at a tool shop.

Joe

Chickenman
03-28-2019, 05:39 AM
The plastic will eventually wear down and change the depth that you are drilling. I bought a round metal drill bit stop fifteen years ago and am still using it. Once the set screws and depth are adjusted on the drill stop, it never moves. It cost me $4.50 at a tool shop.

Joe
A drill stop is the way to go. I have one one the bit I use and my back up bit as well.

Daveg
03-29-2019, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=JoeJ;369176]The plastic will eventually wear down and change the depth that you are drilling. I bought a round metal drill bit stop fifteen years ago and am still using it. Once the set screws and depth are adjusted on the drill stop, it never moves. It cost me $4.50 at a tool shop.

The change in depth you describe is 1/100 of an inch for every 600 holes drilled which won't harm the tree compared to using 7/16's taps. And my plastic depth stop cost .0003¢ 19877

jrm
03-29-2019, 09:20 AM

JoeI had no idea there was such a thing. Sounds better than the tap I use for this, and other purposes.

tgormley358
03-29-2019, 09:50 AM
I like this approach using either tubing or a metal drill stop. When I tried it this season I noticed I needed to adjust depending on the bark of each tree, smooth and then depth or gnarly and thicker on older bigger trees. How do you all adjust for that?

buck3m
03-29-2019, 12:41 PM
I like this approach using either tubing or a metal drill stop. When I tried it this season I noticed I needed to adjust depending on the bark of each tree, smooth and then depth or gnarly and thicker on older bigger trees. How do you all adjust for that?

I knock the thickest bark off with the claws of my hammer, not enough to hit live wood, of course.