PDA

View Full Version : Reason for syrup pan boiling up.

Maple River Sugar
03-27-2019, 11:08 AM
I was boiling on my Lapierre 2x8 wood fired keeping a depth of 2" in the syrup pan. I looked away and when I looked back the final compartment and the adjacent one were foaming up to the point were it was above the divider. I immediately added canola oil in both compartments and the bubbling went down. My draws are a trickle at a time.

What would be the cause, it has never done it before, second is this how scorching occurs?

The float was running as set.

Thanks

Sugarmaker
03-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Sounds like it was getting close to syrup or at syrup or beyond syrup? Thats when things seem to happen!:)
Regards,
Chris

ennismaple
03-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Since we started adding defoamer to where the pre-heated sap comes into the flue pan every 15 minutes (whether it was boiling over or not) we never have problems with the syrup pan boiling over the dividers. If this is happening you needed to add defoamer 30 minutes ago!

BCPP
03-27-2019, 12:09 PM
I'd agree. We have a mini pro and as we get close to syrop it starts to foam up. Not too worried as long as its below the dividers. If it gets above then all the syrop in the pan can foam up leaving the bottom dry and thus able to scorch. At 2" I would not think it s big issue. We run at 1.5" and have has one scorvhbin past 3 years.

Maple River Sugar
03-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I religiously use canola oil to defoam, since that issue the final compartment seems to have a higher boil than the adjacent compartment.

In your opinions do you think I scorched the pan?

motowbrowne
03-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, I religiously use canola oil to defoam, since that issue the final compartment seems to have a higher boil than the adjacent compartment.

Only one way to find out (drain it enough to see the bottom) but probably not. I've had mine foam over the dividers as well and not scorched it. Another 60 seconds though, and it could get out of hand.

fisheatingbagel
03-27-2019, 02:52 PM

If you had 2 inches of syrup in the pan, I'm thinking you're probably just fine.

mol1jb
03-27-2019, 08:02 PM
I find towards the end of the season with increased niter issues leads to more foam issues in the syrup pan. It usually starts on the draw off channel and possibly the one in front of that as well.

Super Sapper
03-28-2019, 03:48 AM
Your pan may need to be cleaned. As noted builds up it will foam more.