PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Sapling Evaporator?

stimyg
03-23-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm a hobbyist, Catskills, been at it about 10 years. 20-30 taps, depending. Empty my buckets on weekends. I've been doing all my boiling on steam pans on my large propane grill, and/or with a turkey boiler, then finishing on a stove inside. Propane costs aside, it's worked fine, but every year I find myself looking at evaporators, dreaming. Not because I need more efficiency, really, mainly because I love good gear. And, yes, it would be a bit easier and a lot cheaper in terms of fuel.

This year, I've been looking at the Sapling Evaporator from Vermont Evaporator, a small new-ish company (who I think might be a sponsor here). Anyone used them, have any thoughts on how they compare to other hobby evaporators, or any thoughts in general?

JohnsSugarShack
03-23-2019, 11:45 PM
Hello stimya, I'm also just a backyard hobbyist. Been playing with maple syrup for the past 22 years. Started on coleman cook stoves to propane to a leader half pint then to a 2x6 leader with patriot pans. Decided last year I didn't want to create a full time job so I downsized. Now I have a 2x4 mason with raised flues and love it. As to your question I don't know anything
about the sapling evaporator, but if your thinking about buying a small rig I'd definitely look at the 2x3 masons. Bill Masons work is top notch and he's a fantastic person to work with. If you
haven't already checked out his website give it a look. www.wfmasonwelding.com just my 2 cents.

phil-t
03-24-2019, 03:49 AM
Never used asapling, but did use a simmilar rig. Built from a barrell with steam pans. Did not like it, I would not reccomend that much over what you are doing now. I found a used Leader Half Pint in excellent condition and have been pleased with that. I make 15-20 gal. of nice light syrup/yr.
I would go with something similar, leader, SmokeyLake, Mason; thaey are all top notch.

Eberzin
03-24-2019, 12:17 PM
If you stick with that many taps SL has a new rig, I think it is called the Starcat, half pint is good option. If you plan on more taps some day a 2x4 may be better, like a hybrid pan or a high output type pan for better boiling rates. You can also buy just a good pan and make your own arch. Lots of advice on this site for building an efficient arch.

stimyg
03-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate it.

I can see why the Mason, or Leader, or Starcat might be more efficient, and thus why I may be happier with it. My one concern / question... I don't have a great place to put any of these when I'm not using them! No garage, I've got a shed but it's always filled to the seams. I liked the notion of the Sapling because you can get a cover for it and keep it outside. (Although granted, even covered I'm not sure how many seasons that will last outdoors like that.)

I also liked that you can use the Sapling as a smoker when not using it for syrup. Although maybe that's a bad idea; don't want to get pork-smoked flavor syrup... (or do I?)

I'll take a longer look at that ones you're recommending here...

McKenney Maples
03-31-2019, 10:56 PM
I've owed a couple mason rigs, I had one of his original 2x3 setups with a barrel arch. I stored the pan in the basement and kept the barrel covered on a pallet with the bricks out of it. It held up well for many years. I sold it to a family member who used it for 8-9 more years before if finally rusted out. So I guess the short of it is a barrel stove will last will very little effort.