PDA

View Full Version : what is a Oberdorfer pump suspose to sound like when running?

claystroup
03-22-2019, 08:54 PM
I bought a used D & G 7" 7 bank filter press last spring and used it for the first time today to filter approx. 13 gallons syrup. I used all 7 plates and it worked great as my finished product is crystal clear. My question is what is the pump(Oberdorfer) suppose to sound like when running? It kinda sounds like something with a bad bearing in it.

Wanabe1972
03-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Mine is noisy too but I've had it apart and it's in good working order. They sound odd kind of but I can't explain it.

maple flats
03-23-2019, 05:24 AM
If they make noise they are worn, if loud they should be rebuilt. Think about rebuilding it before next season, likely not bad enough to require it during the season. Before you do rebuild, look into an air powered diaphragm pump instead, huge improvement over a gear pump. Must have a compressor, but it does not need to be huge. I just use a pancake compressor (I think maybe a 4 CF tank) and it works just fine.

Hop Kiln Road
03-23-2019, 06:16 AM
...Mozart!

claystroup
03-23-2019, 08:03 AM
What does a rebuild consist of? I see new gear sets and gaskets advertised for them. I only produce 25-30 gallons a year so it won't see a lot of usage.
Thanks,
Clay

Sugarmaker
03-23-2019, 12:05 PM
Clay,
Mine is very noisy too. Ite 5-6 years old. Gears are very worn. Its always been noisy though!:) Thinking I might go to air diaphram pump next year??? Bascoms has the new gear set for $265 plus shipping.
Regards,
Chris

claystroup
03-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Does the input/output pipe size determine if you have a 1/2", 3/4" or 1" pump? I see Bascoms shows all 3 sizes. If I converted to a air diaphram pump, what is a good source for one of those and what does one cost approx?
Thanks,
Clay