PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife damage to tubing

Jeff E
03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
I am curious about other experience with squirrel damage.
This year I had extensive damage to not only tubing, but fittings as well.
We had a very cold winter, with deep snow. I am wondering if that had an impact on critter chewing behavior?

Also, do chipmunks ever go up a tree and chew lines?

Cedar Eater
03-22-2019, 08:03 PM
I have only had a small amount of tubing damage and only one fitting damaged by squirrels, but I've had one line that gets disconnected by deer moving through them. Flagging the line seems to help.

maple flats
03-22-2019, 08:32 PM
This is my first issue with deer damage in about 12 years. They keep chewing on the tubing in 2 areas. I have now tried to give them a Cajan treat, I wiped some Vicious Viper hot sauce on the area they keep chewing. If all of the water in my swamp is gone, I'll know they tasted it. For squirrels I only need to put 8 drops of Vicious Viper Hot Sauce in 1/2 cup salad oil and then fill a 1 qt spray bottle the rest of the way with water. I then just spray part of the drop where they are a problem, it educates them quick. Use good nitril gloves or you will have to keep washing your hands several time and it takes a few days for the burning to go away. Also wear goggles.

Russell Lampron
03-22-2019, 08:32 PM
I've had a lot more squirrel damage here this year than I normally do. The squirrel population was out of control here this past summer so I'm not surprised.

Road's End
03-24-2019, 11:32 AM
The best thing I've found for preventing wildlife problems is making sure the lines are pushed as far up the tree as possible during spring cleaning. It allows everything to walk under during the summer and deer don't hang out in my sugarbush during the winter anyways so squirrels are the only trouble when snow is on the ground.