PDA

View Full Version : Tow/Haul Button

SeanD
03-21-2019, 10:29 PM
I have a new-to-me F350 for hauling sap. Should I engage the Tow/Haul button on the gear shift when I'm hauling a load of sap? Is it best of inclines or declines?

dcast99
03-21-2019, 10:39 PM
I use mine only for breaking. It saves the truck's brakes. On declines it will stop the truck from gaining too much speed. If you jab the brakes quickly it will downshift the trans and keep you from gaining speed. It works at the 10mph increments. With my 6.8l motor I don't need the higher shift points for climbing hills.

maple flats
03-22-2019, 05:11 AM
I use it anytime I haul a load of sap, it's just easier on the tranny. My haul has hills, both up and down, both ways after loading. I still climb about just 400' after loading to get to my turnaround, then I go down 1400-1500' net to the sugarhouse with some rolling hills in between.. When I get to the steepest hill, I shift into M and run the tranny manually, downshifting enough to save the brakes. My downhill auto shift does not work anymore. On that steepest hill, there is a sharp turn about half way down and a stop at the bottom (with a creek across from that stop, years ago a milk tanker found the creek).

Russell Lampron
03-22-2019, 05:32 AM
I don't haul sap with my truck but if I did I would probably need to use it. It's recommended that you use it anytime that you exceed 75% of your max payload or trailer weight or anytime that your transmission will need to do a lot of shifting. A tank of sap weighs up pretty fast. I could exceed the payload on my 1/2 ton truck with a full 210 gallon tank in the back.

FanshaweGirl
03-22-2019, 07:04 PM
*Licensed 310S Auto Mechanic*

The tow/haul button should be used anytime when hauling more than a 'normal' load.

Using tow mode tells the computer that you are, surprise, towing a heavy load. This will set the transmission control module - TCM - to use a different set of shift points. It will also engage extra clutches/bands within the transmission for extra holding power on the planetary gear set. Engine braking will be utilized.

Uphill and downhill performance will be noticeable.

When tow mode is used, Adaptive Learning Strategies are not used, so normal driving performance will not be affected.

TapTapTap
03-22-2019, 07:44 PM
If you think it might be necessary - then do it.

Sugarmaker
03-22-2019, 07:57 PM
I have been using my tow/ haul with a load of sap most of the time. Seems more in control! F250 with 325 leg tank.
https://i.imgur.com/82TiiwU.jpg
Regards,
Chris

Bucket Head
03-22-2019, 09:59 PM
I've looked all over my 1986 F-350, standard transmissioned sap hauler and I can't find the "Tow/Haul" button anywhere!

The guy's I know who do have that button like it a lot and use it often.

FanshaweGirl
03-22-2019, 10:15 PM
I've looked all over my 1986 F-350, standard transmissioned sap hauler and I can't find the "Tow/Haul" button anywhere!

The guy's I know who do have that button like it a lot and use it often.

:D

Yours comes with an extra pedal, what more could you want?!

SeanD
03-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Ok, I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the responses. Now, I need a load of sap to try it out.

mountainvan
03-23-2019, 04:38 PM
I have one on my titan and never used it. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Paul VT
03-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Yes. It will keep the transmission from shifting as much and will down shift on declines. Saves the brakes. Owners manual explains it well.

FanshaweGirl
03-23-2019, 07:02 PM
I have one on my titan and never used it. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

If you have a new generation Titan, I highly suggest that you use tow mode any time you're hauling/towing a mode. They are very quick to learn 'bad habits' in normal drive. I spent a lot of time trying to retrain customers trucks after they had towed their boat/trailer without using tow mode. They didn't like how it shifted afterwards, but it was just doing what it's programmed to do.

SeanD
03-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Ok, BIG thanks to everyone! I tried it today with 150 gallons (which is usually trickier than a full load) and it made a HUGE difference. I would have been happy just knowing I was doing right by the truck, but I was amazed at the improved drive. My first couple of stops are over a pretty rutted and cracked road and the truck usually lurches from the sap being thrown around which usually leads to lurches in acceleration which causes the sap to lurch more. Today, I was able to keep a consistent speed and the sap was definitely steadier. I also noticed it in the long downhill that follows then the uphill after that. That was the steadiest half tank I've ever carried. Awesome! Traders come through again!

SeanD
03-24-2019, 08:46 PM
I have been using my tow/ haul with a load of sap most of the time. Seems more in control! F250 with 325 leg tank.
https://i.imgur.com/82TiiwU.jpg
Regards,
Chris

I like that leg tank. How do you secure it in the bed?

FanshaweGirl
03-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Glad to hear that it's making a great difference! It's better for you, and better for the truck.

mountainvan
03-25-2019, 04:26 PM
The tow mode made a big difference with my truck. No more white knuckle rides coming down the mountain with 300 gals of sap. Thanks again.

FanshaweGirl
03-25-2019, 04:43 PM
If you're coming down a steep hill, especially if it's long, use tow mode and manually shift into the lowest gear that you can - each vehicle will be different. If you have 4WD, use 4 Low. This will utilize the most effective engine braking that's available. Going downhill, foot off the throttle, the engine will rev high, but will hold the vehicle back from speeding up. Then you only have to use your brakes for final slowing and stopping.

Obviously, when hauling a liquid, smooth operation will save you a lot of grief from the impact of sloshing sap.

Happy Hauling! :D