PDA

View Full Version : would like to add a vaccum pump to my new 3/16" setup

sbishop
03-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone,

backyard operation around 50 taps on 2 separate 3/16" (switched this year from 5/16", this is our 4th year) and would like to add a vacuum pump by bringing both lines together at the bottom of hill into 45gal drum ( T both lines at the pump ). i'm looking either a shurflo 4008 or 2088 but the issue i'm having is if I did get a pump how is everyone hooking up 3/16" lines to a shurflo.

Any plumbing connections from 3/16" to 1/2"? any website links where I can purchase would be helpful. Sap is just starting to flow and i'd like to get a pump going since its the start of the season. if things go well, RO next year.

Thanks everyone for any help in advance!

Sbishop

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Simplest way is to use a short piece of mainline (3/4" or 1") connected to the Shurflo, capped at the other end. Then use a couple of saddles (mainline entrances) to connect the lateral line tubing (3/16") into the mainline.

Biz
03-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Here is another way to do it, I use a star fitting on one of my setups. You can get a 3-way star and use one line for a gauge if you want. Needs a 3/16 to 5/16 adaptors for your tubing. Attached pic shows it connected to the pump and electric bypass valve in my setup. You want to set it up to get equal vacuum on the lines

Dave

sbishop
03-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I’m thinking the saddle connectors will work for me. Any suggestion on which pump? Thanks

Biz
03-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Either pump will work fine. I think the 12 volt 4008's are cheaper. They are very reliable in my experience. Get a strainer for the inlet side in case there is ice in the lines.

Dave

Hop Kiln Road
03-22-2019, 06:28 AM
These guys have the best 3/16 saddles
https://www.dsdstars.com/en_catalogue.php

sbishop
03-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone, I've ordered a 2088 and saddles...pump be in early next week not sure on saddles...hoping this will help with more sap.

just to make sure I've read this correct, that pump can run dry? I've ordered a small filter to go with pump..would it be ok to turn on pump in the morning even if line is frozen? filter would block ice until thaw?

Thanks

mol1jb
03-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone, I've ordered a 2088 and saddles...pump be in early next week not sure on saddles...hoping this will help with more sap.

just to make sure I've read this correct, that pump can run dry? I've ordered a small filter to go with pump..would it be ok to turn on pump in the morning even if line is frozen? filter would block ice until thaw?

Thanks

Yes the pump can run dry without damage. That is one if the nice things about the pump. You can turn it on with the frozen lines. The filter will block any ice. On my shurflo setup the thermostat switch turns it on at 32 and there is usually ice in the main from over night

motowbrowne
03-24-2019, 08:40 PM

Thanks

I pretty much never turn my shurflo 2088s off. One of them is going into it's 4th season. I thought about a thermostat, but never got around to it. I will walk over and unplug then if we're gonna have a serval-day cold snap during the season. Then I wait till everything is well frozen and put the plug. Otherwise I just let them run.

sbishop
03-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Got a 2088 with 2 saddle connections on a short piece of 3/4”. Everything works good but with the test tonight it seems to work better if I have one line from the a saddle into the barrel seems to prime better. I can tell how fast the bubbles are running. So I’m thinking of putting a third saddle on the 3/4” and running a 3/16 into the sap that’s in the barrel.

Any suggestions?