PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer all over the place

LMP Maple
03-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Hi
I am boiling on a new mini pro. The thermometer seems to jump all over the place when boiling. It might swing from 216 to 220 them back down and does not stay consistent. I use a hydrometer frequently when drawing off but this is super frustrating. I did replace it once with the same result. Just wondering about probe placement. I use the factory port and have tried it at different depths. Should in be close to touching the pan, or backed off more or maybe not even in the boiling section closer to the draw-off.
Thanks for any ideas or help.

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Tip should be 1/4-1/2" off the pan bottom. You might need to clean it occasionally due to niter build-up. If placed to high you can get erroneous readings due during foaming. Too low can pick up temperature of the pan bottom.

Jeff E
03-21-2019, 08:29 AM
I have had this happen as well, usually due to foaming, and a niter build up on the pan. When that occurs I usually have to reverse flow or do a good cleaning.

LMP Maple
03-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the quick responses. I will reverse flow and use the depth guidelines mentioned. I will also give the probe a good cleaning. Thanks