PDA

View Full Version : Sap ladder with manifold

Bricklayer
03-21-2019, 05:13 AM
Been having issues with the 1 sap ladder I have. It’s about 10feet from the releaser and has about 250 taps.
The mainline it is on y’s tofether about 100’ away and runs to the ladder. 3 x 6 way stars run the ladder.
Problem I have is the line backs up right to the y. No matter what I do. I tried adding a star. The sap would just cheat it’s way through 1 star and go back down the other ones or I’d get slippage. I tried adding a tiny leak. Helped a little. But not really. Tried increasing vacuum. No change.

Here’s my idea for possible solution.

I have a spare CDL vacuum booster manifold.
I was going to install that at low point of mainline before ladder.
Run a dry line from releaser to the manifold. This will give bush constant vacuum. And sap somewhere to go
Then install a 1/2” line from bottom of manifold to the upper wet line where ladder used to be. This line only carries sap to the releaser there are no taps connected to it so if it’s full it dosnt hurt vacuum.
I’m thinking this will work.
The 1/2” line as long as it has sap in it will not need air to get sucked up the line. I think anyways.
Every morning when I fire up the pump and the lines are full the vac just sucks the sap up the ladder as it is now in a steady stream.
One thing I’m worried about is the sap just sits there in the manifold and goes nowhere. But if the same vacuum is being applied in the 1/2” line it should suck it up.
I’m gonna call it a “hybrid ladder/lifter thingy”

Anyone ever try this.

maple flats
03-21-2019, 06:40 AM
Try sending a PM to Windy Acres, I think he is the expert on sap ladders.

Chasefamily
03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Here is one of mine, and i have another one about 50 ft away on a different line. they both seem to work pretty decent. If i could only keep that line going under the road thawed out. after the season i will try and fix that problem. I also want to add a dry line to the top on the manifold, just havnt got there yet.