PDA

View Full Version : Problem with low flow?

red/one
03-20-2019, 02:08 PM
I'm in a bind, I have a section on a shurflo that is pulling half of what I have comming in at another section on gravity. I have 43 taps on 3 lines of 3/16 with CV's going to the pump. No leaks that I can see or hear, bubbles moving slow. The side with the pump faces south-south west, while the other section on gravity (3/16 w/CV's 30 taps) faces almost north and is very shady. I have 25 gallons on the pump side and 35+ on the gravity side both in 24hrs. Most of the line on the pump side is 3yrs old and the gravity side is 2yrs old. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? Thanks!

red/one
03-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Update, cleaned out the strainer. That helped. Still seems slow. See what happens tomorrow.

maple flats
03-21-2019, 06:45 AM
3/16 gets slower each year it is used. Did you clean it after the 2018 season and if yes, how? That might well be the issue.

red/one
03-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Maple flats, I did clean it at the end of 2018 season but only back flushed with hot water. I am thinking that is ultimately the issue. My plan is to put new 5/16 up next year due to the almost non existent slope, that's also why I have it on a pump. Thank you!

Jtheisen
03-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Red/one. Do u have a line dropped in the tank to keep the pump primed. I have 5/16 and with out a recirculating line in tank, I lose prime on pump. I put a end line hook on that line to restrict flow from the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2019, 10:31 AM
My plan is to put new 5/16 up next year due to the almost non existent slope, that's also why I have it on a pump.

3/16" tubing is not appropriate for low slope applications.

red/one
03-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Jtheisen, I do have a recirc line to keep the pump wet with a needle valve to regulate it.
Dr. Tim, I was very green when I put the 3/16 line up thinking I knew what I was doing. :lol: I did not read enough about it I guess. Learning a lot on this forum over the last couple years I figured out it was not the right application and I will change over next year to 5/16.

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2019, 12:00 PM
You weren't the only one to do that. Some people were saying it could be used anywhere...which is just not the case.

n8hutch
03-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Look for a plugged T fitting in your line. Look very closely you ma ty only be drawing sap from half your taps, follow the line or lines up from the pump, if you get to a point where there is little or no movement after a fitting that is your plugged fitting, you may not even be able to see the plug until you cut it out.

red/one
03-27-2019, 08:28 AM
n8hutch-I'm thinking that I have a blockage in a "T". One line flows really well and the other two are slow. Tonight I will try and investigate. I'd like to get some more sap before it dries up... Thanks everyone!

GiffordHillGold
03-27-2019, 10:03 AM
I am planning on running some 3/16 gravity line for next season. What is the minimum grade to make 3/16 worthwhile over 5/16? Would 15' overall elevation change be good enough?

Sugarmaker
03-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Some tress run less! I just put on a new group of trees. Very disappointed in their output. May give them another chance next season?
Regards,
Chris

VT_K9
03-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Do you have the time to run 5/16" to finish the season or do your plans include a build out which requires more planning? You may not hurt yourself to run that 5/16" along the 3/16" and then when ready pull and replace the taps...not ideal, but maybe your flow will improve to make it work it.

Also did you replace your taps this year? I believe the studies have shown a decrease in sap production with reused taps. It maybe as much as 10% loss if I recall for the 5/16" and I don't know if there is a difference for 3/16". I know this year we did not replace our taps because of all the construction for the new sugarhouse and to need to keep working on the sugarhouse to be ready to boil. A 10% loss of sap would have an impact and the earnings would cover the cost of the taps (and maybe man hours, but we don't pay ourselves).

Mike

red/one
03-28-2019, 06:32 AM
I pulled a suspect "T" apart last night and had no sap running down the drop. I think my front 2/3 (35 taps) is dried up. We can see buds popping. The back 1/3 is still running due to less sun exposure. I am not impressed with this section this year. We tapped it on February 17th. The taps were changed as we do every year.

maple flats
03-28-2019, 07:00 AM
What date was your first good flow? It might be you tapped too early, or your drop sanitation needs addressing. What tap do you use, that could be helped by a CV tap, either the CV2 or the adapter, or a Zap Bac tap or adapter.

red/one
03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
We had flow that first week and then it froze up for about a week and a half or so until we got some warmer weather. I only changed a few drops because they were leaking. I use Leader CV's and adapters.