PDA

View Full Version : Lines full of foam?

bawplank
03-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Each day more and more drops seem to be full of tiny bubbles or foam, is this ok. 3/4 main 5/15 laterals and on a shurflo.

bawplank
03-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Picture

Twisted Minds
03-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Likely you have a micro leak at the t-junction.

BAP
03-20-2019, 05:06 AM
Your spout is leaking. Either it is loose in the tree or the tubing didn’t seal tight on the spout.

Russell Lampron
03-20-2019, 05:12 AM
If you can see the bubbles inside the tap you have a leak in the tree or the tap isn't seated completely. If the sap column in the tap is a solid stream you have a micro leak where the tubing is pushed onto the tap. Let us know what you find.

JoeJ
03-20-2019, 05:23 AM
Is that spouts pounded in to far and split the bark? It looks like the spout is set way too deep.

maple flats
03-20-2019, 06:14 AM
I'd also think the taps were "pounded" too far in. Then they split the bark and you get a leak. No fix for that, just an education. When you drive a tap in, use a lighter tool to hit it and tap lightly. Listen for the sound to change, sound will tell you when it is in solid. Either use a tapping hammer, or a small Ladies hammer or I've always used the flat jaw on a pair of 7" lineman's pliers. What ever you use, go more gently.

bawplank
03-20-2019, 07:13 AM
thanks guys, I think you are right about the taps being in to far. We used a light tapping hammer when we tapped but then when it started flowing my son seen a lot of sap running down trees so he went back and pounded harder. will the air leak hurt the sap or can I just leave it for the rest of year? I am still getting enough sap to keep us busy from that line. It is running 13 - 19 inches at the end of the mainline 350 feet from pump. Makes me think if we didn't have all those leaks I could get even more sap.

DrTimPerkins
03-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Is that spouts pounded in to far and split the bark? It looks like the spout is set way too deep.

I agree. Leak appears to be located at the spout/tree interface, and the spout is set too deep, which created a microleak of air (into the tubing) being sucked into the tubing and sap running outside the spout. No fix for this except knowing better the next time. As Dave said...sound is generally the best indicator of when spouts are seated properly.

Yes, both your vacuum and yield will be lower, but you've also cut off productive wood by pounding the spout in too deep, which will also reduce your yield from any affected spouts.

Russell Lampron
03-21-2019, 05:22 AM
The sap running down the tree on the first run or two with properly seated taps is pretty much normal. It's a small tear in the bark made when you drill the tap hole. After the tree has a chance to heal it won't be there anymore.

bawplank
03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Thank you, that's what got us. When I got home from work my son said our tapping hammer was no good and was pounding them in deep with bigger hammer because if the leaks. I admit that I probaly would of done the same thing. Next year... lol