PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Vacuum pump issue

mkoehler79
03-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Has anyone else had problems with their vacuum pump not starting when cold? Mine runs up to about half speed and then trips the breaker. After warming the pump it will start fine. Any suggestions on different oils used to help this issue would be appreciated. The pump is a Sogevac SV B40 BI. I am currently using the manufacturer recommended oil Leybold LVO 120.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
One of my outside pumps does the same thing. Do you have power outlet there? I plug in electric milkhouse heater and put on it for half hour before startup in morning. Starts fine then. I also built a 3-sided plywood box. I put it over pump when temps are marginal. I find it helps pump retain heat and keeps condensation from building in oil. Once temps warm in mid to late season I take box off.
Neil

upsmapleman
03-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Vacuum pumps don't like to start when cold esp. if there is moisture in the oil. Drain reclaimer every day and put a heat lamp on them at night and you will have no problems.

mkoehler79
03-19-2019, 01:39 PM
I am running this off of a generator. I currently have the generator auto starting based on temperature (thus starting the pump) and hoped potentially a different oil has helped others.

BAP
03-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Is the generator big enough for the surge needed at startup when cold?

mkoehler79
03-19-2019, 03:02 PM
The motor is a 2 HP running on a 10 kW Max generator. The motor overload trips and not the generator breaker. This same generator starts other 5 hp motors. I could add in some relays to run a heater on the pump before turning it on, but was curious if anyone had any oil solutions that may be worth trying first.

DrTimPerkins
03-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Vane pumps are fairly notorious for starting hard. You could try a lighter oil, but once it heats up that might not provide enough lubrication...especially in late season. The better approach, as already suggested, is to heat it or keep it warm before starting it up.

JBurkett
10-29-2019, 07:55 PM
mkoehler, How many taps are you running off your Sogevac SV 40BI? I'm looking for a new pump and they seem to be reasonably priced. I need a pump for about 500 taps.

Shaun
10-30-2019, 07:38 AM
If you are using a programmable VFD you may be able to ramp the start. I have mine set to to ramp to full speed in 10 minutes. This is an invertek drive.

DrTimPerkins
11-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Have the temperature-based auto-start turn on a timer with a heat-lamp which runs for 30-60 min, then have another timer start the pump. Just set it to turn on a few degrees earlier.

mkoehler79
01-07-2020, 05:19 PM
We are at around 750 taps currently. It seems to keep up well with the leaks since we are not always able to spend time keeping up with them.