PDA

View Full Version : Burner Nozzle pattern

Quabbin Hill Farms
03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Wondering what burner nozzle type works best for a syrup system.

DRoseum
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Are you looking for info regarding oil burner nozzles or looking to change to natural gas or propane? Also, what size pan are you trying to heat? The 18" x 7' pan?

I recently built a small (21.5" x 30") batch evaporator which runs on natural gas, but can easily be converted to propane by adding the right orifice to each burner.

I used stainless steel U-burners by Hearth Product Controls (come in various sizes) and Dante Products air-gas mixing chambers to get a very clean and hot blue flame burn. The burners I have are 18"x6" and can produce up to 90k BTU depending upon supply line sizing.

Here are some pictures of what I built:
https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/custom-hobby-maple-syrup-evaporator.html

Quabbin Hill Farms
03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
I use oil but wondering if the nozzle pattern i have i believe its a B pattern is the right type for this application its a 45% 2.5 gph nozzle.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-19-2019, 07:47 AM
I run a 4.0 70 degree B. Th issue you need to figure out is your fire box. There are some charts online that show you how big of a nozzle you should use on the particular sized firebox. The charts are designed for home usage, not maple making, but it at least gives you an idea on what you can or cant use.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-19-2019, 08:46 AM
I run a 4.0 70 degree B. Th issue you need to figure out is your fire box. There are some charts online that show you how big of a nozzle you should use on the particular sized firebox. The charts are designed for home usage, not maple making, but it at least gives you an idea on what you can or cant use.

Exactly. I'm using a Delavan 70B 3.5GPH at 150 PSI. You may want a PSI gauge on the fuel pump so you know approximately how much fuel it's burning. Higher PSI, higher fuel consumption. I run a 2x6 rig.