PDA

View Full Version : Cupola venting

Pete S
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
We're experiencing a "second" turning of the trees here in east central WI, as the first leaves just dropped due to hot-n-dry, now the beautiful colors are here, and it's raining and just wonderful outside.

Which brings me to my question; I have yet to approach the "Boss" on this, as timing is critical. (you married guys know what I'm sayin')

Anyway, we've been boiling for 2 years, OUTSIDE and the good Lord has blessed us with wonderful weather for the most part, BUT I want a sugar shack!!

As I lay awake in bed designing this, a cupola comes to mind. I am somewhat familar with how it's to function but wondered if someone has a design for opening the thing up and letting out the heat and steam but not allowing the in rain, etc? (operable panels/pulleys/ropes, etc)

The aesthetics of a cupola is improtant as well, and not interested in a hood design at this time............I guess.

This is WAY early, cuz as mentioned above, and funds is low, and debts is high this time of year for us!

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
Pete

tuckermtn
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I think the rule of thumb for Cupola was you want the length of it to be equal to or more than the length of your flu/sap pan. I think I saw that in some UVM cooperative extension plans for a sugar house

we did trusses for our roof and sistered some vertical 2X4's on to the side of the trusses...I pre-built the vertical wall sections on the ground so that I could just hoist it up and install. Then put the small mini-trusses on top of the wall sections. Match the roof pitch on the cupola with the regular roof.

our pully system goes from side wall up diagonaly to a pully on the collar tie in the cupola then down to the cupola doors...made the doors of the cupola too heavy so its quite hard to get the doors back up and closed.

we kept costs down by recycling an old building at a closed lumber yard...took the whole thing- metal roof, pre-built trusses, 4 X 8 plates, etc...only had to buy new shiplap siding

Pete S
10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Looking at the picture (Avatar) it appears that your "doors" or sides simply "tip out" at the top.(?)

If so, have you set a "stop" to only allow them to open as wide as you facia on your cupola?

Thanks for the reply!
Pete

Fred Henderson
10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I think that you will find that they are hinged at the roof level and they can be allowed to lay right on the roof. That is the way mine are and I have no steam inside.

Father & Son
10-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Mine are hinged at the bottom and I also have cables on them so they only drop down to level. That makes pulling them closed a little easier if they are heavy.

Also check under Wanted, then go to cupola photos. Some ideas there.

Jim

tuckermtn
10-19-2007, 05:03 PM
yes- Fred is right- my hinges are near roof level and the doors just rest on the roof when open...

I like the suggestion of putting some wires on the door to keep them level...its usually the hardest to get it started off the roof...

-tuckermtn

Russell Lampron
10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Take a look at Mapleman3's web site. He has pictures of his and other sugar houses on it. He also has some detailed pictures of his cupola set up. Most of us have doors that lay down on the roof when opened and can be pulled shut with ropes or cables. If you can get a look at another sugar house in person it will help you alot.

If you have enough trees on your property that you cut down and saw into logs it may not cost too much to have someone with a portable saw mill come in and saw them into the lumber you need to build a sugar house. It cost me just over $300 when I built mine in 2001. I know prices have increased alot since then but it is still cheaper than going to the lumber yard.

Russ

Dave Y
10-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Pete,
Take a look at my pics. I built my copula with fixed louvers. weather stays out and I have no trouble venting my steam. Advantage no moving parts.

Jerome
11-12-2007, 06:45 AM
A little help talking the boss into the cupola, Get her a beautiful weather vane for Christmas then you would need someplace to put it, worked for me.

3% Solution
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Got to have a place for the steam to vent.
Now just need something to fancy dancy the thing up!!
Ain't that always the way!!!!

Dave

MarkMcQ
11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
this pdf from the north dakota ag site shows some limited detail drawing of a ventilated roof for a sugarhouse...http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/6308.pdf

Valley View Sugarhouse
11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Tuckermtn, I had the same problem as you, (the doors being too heavy) with my firs sugarhouse. I overcame this with a big spring on each door it went from top of door to the header over the oppisate door. If the spring is sized correct then the door will close so easy it will surprise you. mine after a few trials would actually hold the door about a inch from the roof (which with windows for doors ) kept me from slamming them on the roof when i opened them..