PDA

View Full Version : Low density syrup question

goldnut
03-15-2019, 09:54 PM
My autodraw was set a bit too low so I didnt quite make syrup. Got about 1/2 gallon. What do you do to get it up to 66? I do not have a finishing pan. I poured it back in the syrup pan on the draw off side but this caused a foam up at next draw and kicked on my alarm, spike in temp...Good thing I had my osb handy! Thanks Ken

SeanD
03-16-2019, 06:29 AM
A half gallon will fit in a stainless pot on your stove. Depending on what the bit low is, it will only take an hour or so start to finish to bring it up a point. You'll have to filter is afterwards, though. You can also mix your light batch with a heavier batch and it will even out. I aim for 66.5. I overcorrected some this week and it dropped to 66. I just blended it with a batch that came in at 68.

maple flats
03-16-2019, 07:01 AM
I just add it back into the front pan at the middle of the last channel leading to the draw off, when the pan is cold. I've not had the issue of the alarm doing that, but I've only done that a time or 2, I have a finisher. Most often I just set the draw temp a little higher to blend, then set it back once the blend is proper density. I finish at 66.9%.