PDA

View Full Version : Boiling point of water or syrup hydrometer???

snakes14009
03-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Last weekend I went and bought a brand new syrup and sap hydrometer.. up until then I have been basing my finished syrup on temperature only. When I was finishing on the stove last weekend boiling point of water was 209.. so syrup should be syrup at 216. But according to they syrup hydrometer it was not finished until the temperature was 219. So what the heck is right temperature or density? I am not buying a refractometer...

DrTimPerkins
03-15-2019, 01:43 PM
In order to test correctly with a hydrometer, you need to adjust for temperature also. To get a good reading, they both need to be calibrated. I've seen brand-new hydrometers fresh-out-of-the-box be off. Usually just a little, but sometimes not. Best to buy a good calibrated hydrometer, get it checked somewhere, or compare it to a known good hydrometer.

ecolbeck
03-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Is it possible that you made an error in you measurement of the boiling point on that day?

maple flats
03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
I think some people check the boiling point of water and take a reading as soon as i look sort of like a boil. It needs to be a hard, rolling boil, before you add for the boiling point of syrup. Then if the barometric pressure changes during your boil, the necessary syrup temperature changes too. Best to use a hydrometer that is properly calibrated and use it correctly.

canaanmaple
03-15-2019, 06:27 PM
In order to test correctly with a hydrometer, you need to adjust for temperature also. To get a good reading, they both need to be calibrated. I've seen brand-new hydrometers fresh-out-of-the-box be off. Usually just a little, but sometimes not. Best to buy a good calibrated hydrometer, get it checked somewhere, or compare it to a known good hydrometer. dang, I had no idea a hydrometer needs adjustment for temp. My water boils around 207. I know when I get to 7 on the dial thermometer, I am still under on the hydrometer by about that many brix, but the temp doesnt really go up till I get to syrup, so I always assumed the temp thing was a warning you are almost to syrup. Is adjusting temp for altitude like a monkey wrench getting thrown in? :)

snakes14009
03-15-2019, 07:05 PM
209 was as high as the water got... yes it was a hard boil.
And it was sitting right next to the pot of syrup at the same time. It was just interesting. I will probably buy a Murphy cup soon enough but I have spent enough money this year on syrup season...wife still won't let me get a new evaporator. It could be the evaporator I want is 7k...but she says she is still enjoying making syrup. So I better not push it.

Z/MAN
03-15-2019, 09:32 PM
A Murphy Cup works excellent. I don't know where the 7 above boiling point came from but I have NEVER made syrup at 7 above. My syrup is usually made at 9 above or more. Get and use a hydrometer correctly and you will make really good syrup.

DrTimPerkins
03-16-2019, 08:47 AM
dang, I had no idea a hydrometer needs adjustment for temp.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/syrup-hydrometer.pdf

Galena
03-16-2019, 10:06 AM
A Murphy Cup works excellent. I don't know where the 7 above boiling point came from but I have NEVER made syrup at 7 above. My syrup is usually made at 9 above or more. Get and use a hydrometer correctly and you will make really good syrup.

Same here...I've had my water boil at 209 and 210, and I still finish at 222-225, and the syrup has been bang on the red line. That whole 7 degrees thing has never worked for me.

jrm
03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Same here...I've had my water boil at 209 and 210, and I still finish at 222-225, and the syrup has been bang on the red line. That whole 7 degrees thing has never worked for me.

Same goes for me. I've used a thermometer and hydrometer the last 4 years. My temp has always been above 220 when I'm on the red line. My first boil, last week, temp was 223.