PDA

View Full Version : Leaking poly collection tank

tgormley358
03-15-2019, 12:24 PM
With 120 taps on tubing I’m using several free or cheap money 50-55 gallon recycled plastic or poly drums at the bottom of my lines. They’re previously used mostly for food prep somewhere else, so they’re dairy clean. The ones I have have a removable lid on top, well designed to fit in snugly, with a rubbery type gasket and a metal ring around the top edge to snug the lid in even tighter. In past years they’ve been great, but this year I’ve had leaks in the tops. I sippose they can degrade over time or maybe those lids aren’t designed to completely right. Estimating I’ve lost 30-40 gallons so far. I fixed one by filling the gasket area with some Extreme tape made of silicone. It works but it’s time consuming so I’m windeingjifnithers have found this problem and what you’ve tried to fix it

Tom

maple flats
03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
I fail to understand how you can estimate how much sap you've lost, no two trees or group of trees are the same.

to100
03-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Are you trying to move them when full? Hand cart or roll on their side? I have one that olives where in it, they are not being reused commercially. Mine is reddish/brown. The “ O” ring is not rugged.

tgormley358
03-15-2019, 09:41 PM
I leave these barrels in place on their sides. I don’t move them. I cut a hole thru the side facing up and run my lines into it. These barrels I’m sure are made to stand up so I’m not sure the lids are designed to be fully water tight laying in their side. I added tape around the rim today and will see what happens.

When I looked at one of them today it was dripping at about the same rate as the flow from the line.

bill m
03-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Why are you laying them down? Those lids, seals, and clamp rings are not really meant to be reusable. Yes, they will probably work for a while but no guarantee.

tgormley358
03-17-2019, 09:36 PM
Why are you laying them down? Those lids, seals, and clamp rings are not really meant to be reusable. Yes, they will probably work for a while but no guarantee.

Different reasons. They’re tall standing up so laying in their side makes it easier to run lines into them especially as I don’t have excess slope to play with if I had to end the line a foot higher that disadvantageous. It’s how I’ve seen a friend nearby use his, and he’s been at this much longer than me. I haven’t asked him yet this question.

Tom

Russell Lampron
03-18-2019, 05:25 AM
The seals and barrels are meant for a one time use. After removing the cover the seal should be replaced with a new one to seal correctly. Maybe you can find a source for new seals.

tgormley358
03-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Dave, I wasn’t sure why you were wondering about my estimate of lost sap. It’s based on observations of the flow of sap on each line and how quickly tanks fill up. If a tank gets to half full in a day, and the weather temps stays right and I can see the sap still flowing, but the tank stops filling at a certain point, I deduce there’s a leak, and based on the prior flow I think I can estimate reasonably well. It’s an estimate but I don’t think too far off.