PDA

View Full Version : Smoke stack question

Maplewalnut
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Does anyone see any problem with running 15 feet or so of single wall black stove pipe on top of the evaporator base stack without support? My new shed has a 21 foot ceiling to the roof and I am worried about supporting such a long section of black pipe. The outside pipe can be suported once I hit the roof line but since the interior of the shed is open until you hit the roof rafters there is no chnace to tie anything in. I am planning to 'wrap' the black pipe with flexible copper to act as a preheater from my sap tank. Should I be using something other than single wall black pipe for my smoke stack inside?

Jim Brown
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Holy Cow! 21 feet of ceiling!! Now thats! a sugar house!. Now on a more serious note. I would think about running a support of some kind from the nearest wall over to the pipe.The last thing you want is the inside of the pipe getting friendly with the inside of your roof. Any time you have fire and wood you have "murphy in the mix" Also you will be moving around in the sugar house and the chance of bumping it will be good and you don't want to be trying to put it back together when the rig is running Just my a thought!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
you will want some kind of suport for it also might want to metal screw them together

RICH

maplecrest
10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
In my old sugar house i had a high roof. roughly same height as yours. we took the stack down every year. built a ladder to the wall behind the stack to put up and take down. and anchored the stack to the ladder as we went up to hold it in place. once we added the forced draft we had to screw the sections togather and could no longer take it down. so we put up a stainless stack that is still in the old building.

brookledge
10-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I would think that as long as you put in 2 or 3 self tapping screws into each joint it will not go anywhere. Try that first and see how stable it is then if you are concerned you may want to further stabilize it
Keith

Maplewalnut
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Is single walled black stove pipe typically what people use. I realize the life expectancy of thin wall is only a couple years but I am not going to upgrade to thicker walled or stainless until I settle on a larger rig, thinking the stack diameter may change from the 8" pipe I am using now.

Fred Henderson
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
The black should work well. If you can find 24 ga, if not you can go with the 26 ga. but don't use 30 ga. Put 3 sheet metal screws in per joint. With at much smoke stack you will have a draft the will suck a sitting hen off her nest.

Maplepro
10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I have a 8" stove pipe 24ga that goes 16' to the roof then i have another 10' out side all i did was put 3 sheet metal screws in the joints i have 2 guide wires out side to keep it in place i replace it every 5 years or so but we have had it up for over 40 years and it has never moved its on an old barrle stove that my great grand father made years ago we used it for finishing.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Black Pipe Will Last A Long Time If It Is Inside And Doesnt Get Wet.

Rich