PDA

View Full Version : High winds and an empty bucket

highlandcattle
03-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Ron had some sap coming in yesterday. Wanted to wait until this morning to empty. Looked out there before it was light. Lost about 2 gallons when the wind took the whole thing out of the tree. Boiling for the first time about 2 gallons. 2%. Wind really blowing

Daveg
03-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Did the wind pull a tap out of the tree? I've see pictures of a straw imbedded in a tree due to a tornado.

KV Sappers
03-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Ron had some sap coming in yesterday. Wanted to wait until this morning to empty. Looked out there before it was light. Lost about 2 gallons when the wind took the whole thing out of the tree. Boiling for the first time about 2 gallons. 2%. Wind really blowing
The wind is exactly why I bungee all my buckets to the tree. PITA unhooking them to dump the bucket but beats running all over the place chasing buckets. Good luck with your season.

slammer3364
03-11-2019, 06:23 PM
I had a couple blow off also,but I get no sap! I have 108 taps out since the end of Feb and have collected 90 gals. of sap. Wow

Msboucha
03-11-2019, 07:50 PM
We piled snow around our buckets when we put them out a couple weeks ago (tubing into buckets on the ground). Works pretty well as far as keeping them from blowing away, at least until the snow melts, then we put a log or branch on them. Whopping 6 gallons on 24 taps in the last couple weeks here in northern VT...starting to get discouraging.

tgormley358
03-14-2019, 07:47 AM
What takes a few of my buckets down is an opossum. I’ve photographed him. He goes for the trees just into the woods rather than out in the open. I now bungee those trees so far so good.

Tom