PDA

View Full Version : some evaporater questions

rob
03-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Folks,
New to the Forum, fairly new to sugaring, and full of questions! My wife and I got a new place a couple of years ago in Huntington Vt. It has a really nice section of Mature sugar bush on it. Last year we did the pans and cinder blocks thing and had a blast. This year we expect to do the same, but want ot make the next year a little more serious. Fortuantly, the previous owner built a nice sugar house, unfortuantly he took the rig and all gear with him. He was doing about 300 taps (mostly tubing), and in a few years it would be possible to add alot more (younger stuff coming up) We are planning on fewer taps (50-100) and all on buckets with a few collection points, we just don't want the tubing up to see all year as The mature section is also our "backyard".
So here coime the questions:

1-Has anyone come up with an estimated ratio of taps to cordwood consumed (mixed species hard and soft)? I ask because we want to run our rig on wood. we also heat the house and shop with wood. The previous owner also fueled his rig with wood. It is only a 20 acre lot and he picked it pretty clean. Thus we suspect that our available firewood supply may well be the limiting factor on the number of taps we run, as we do not want a pleasent hobby to have a negative impact on the wood lot..looking for a sustainable balance here. Certainly there is alot of thinning to be done...but that's another story.

2-What are "average" tap ratings for a 2X4 rig...a 2X6? I know production varies bush to bush and year to year but lets try for rough numbers. we suspect these would be the approite size evap. for us to get.

3-As I look around for a used evaperator, What are some things to be on the lookout for?Both positive and negative.

4- Returning to the bush itself. Is there good info source on managing the lot for sugaring?...Regarding stand density, species diversity, targeted thinning, that sort of thing. As I said before a good size area is just coming into production size but needs some attention

Well, that's probobly enough for now, but I am sure I will be back with a lot more questions. Thanks for any help or advice.

Rob

03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Here is a good source for a lot of your questions. The maple syrup producers manual.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/

DougM
03-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Rob,
Within a couple of days you should have a couple hundred posts offering opinions/advice/stories of experience, too, which will at least be entertaining, and probably useful, too. :D :D
(See powerdub's story of burning his front pan, and mine about catching the barn on fire as good examples of what not to do.)
The Manual is a good place to start for technical info, and the people here are great for finding out what does and doesn't work. And since sugaring season is almost over in a lot of places they'll have plenty of spare time to offer suggestions.
I'll give you two:
1) Balance your evaporator and number of taps with your time. Meaning, if you don't have a lot of time to boil, either keep the number of taps lower, or buy a bigger rig than you think you need at the time.
2) Buy a bigger rig, anyway. If you have the trees available, you'll always be thinking about adding more taps. We have gone from 25 to 100 in four years, and are thinking about more. And so is almost everyone on this site.
oops.. 3) One more on wood: we burned a lot of pallets this year, cut up with a chain saw, and they are great. Dry, seasoned, and no splitting. We got them free from a place looking to get rid of them.
I'm looking forward to seeing how fast you get replies. Enjoy :D

Al
03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Rob and welcome. UVM has a awesome syrup site. Just search UVM and look under Procter Maple Research center. I have 23 acres in Fairfield went from 10 taps to 20 taps now at 76 and going to a 101 next year. That about max's out of my lot.
That's how I decided on my evaporator. I have a Algiers Thrifty model and it will do about 25 gallons an hour. I also have my evenings and most weekends available to gather and boil. Go with what you feel like doing. I figure a 100 buckets is just enough to get plenty of syrup. I'm a hobby person not a business person in this line. I do it just for the fun!!!! :D
Take care,
Al

DougM
03-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Rob,
see Brandon's post in the For Sale section as reference for my earlier post about time vs. taps. :D
I am in a similar situation as he is: at least 30 min. from the sugarhouse, & only Wednesdays really available to boil during the week. We have 100 taps, all w/plastic bags, and made 28 gal. last year, but only 9.75 this year.
Like Al said, you can get plenty of syrup from 100 taps, especially if it's a hobby, not a business. We sell some, but only if we have plenty after giveaways to friends and family.