PDA

View Full Version : Plastic smell in new poly tank.

lyford
03-06-2019, 08:26 AM
Got a new poly tank for collecting on the quad. The tanks smells strongly of plastic. I used hot water and baking soda to scrub the inside twice. I then rinsed well. Still smells. Anyone else experience this, i just don't wanna impart any plastic flavor to the syrup I may make, if we ever get back above freezing. Thanks, Justin

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Got a new poly tank for collecting on the quad. The tanks smells strongly of plastic.

Leave the top open and put it in the sun for as long as you can. You probably won't get all the smell entirely out this season.

lyford
03-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply Dr. Tim, is there any chance i'll be passing that smell/flavor on to the syrup?

Eberzin
03-06-2019, 12:55 PM
I have cleaned plastic pretty well for odor by using hot water and baking soda. Scrub real well. I have also made a paste out of the baking soda and smeared it on the sides and left it out in the sun for a couple hot days. If it is cold leave it in your house. A tank you could do the bottom half first and then turn it over and do the top half.

Chickenman
03-06-2019, 01:12 PM
If you have an air compressor, or a fan to circulate air through it, it will help.

tcross
03-06-2019, 01:59 PM
i've used the blue 5 gallon plastic jugs for canning syrup many times. new it's always had the plastic smell even after washing. i've never had it affect the taste of my syrup. just my experience...

lyford
03-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Thanks tcross that’s the info I was looking for

mol1jb
03-06-2019, 04:10 PM
This is my second year on 2x 500 gallon poly collection tanks. Both smelled of plastic last year as well as this year but there is no noticeable taste in our syrup.