PDA

View Full Version : Finishing on the evaporator?

Mille705
03-06-2019, 05:35 AM
I have a 2x6 Leader pan with a back pan with flues and divided front. We switch the flow everyday. When I get ready to finish a batch I plug the outside compartment and finish it. I usually keep adding syrup from the next compartment over to make the batch bigger. My question is, does this cause my syrup to be darker? I seem to struggle making light syrup. Those that finish on a 2x6, what do you do?

sugarman3
03-06-2019, 05:42 AM
Yes it will added to the fact your boiling rate on a 2x6 is hot that great,20-30 gal at tops of evaporation,try pulling it off a degree oe two lower and finish it on a small stove.what % is it coming out off the ro

Mille705
03-06-2019, 06:38 AM
Depends but usually 4-6% off the RO

maple marc
03-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Why are you plugging any flow? You are defeating the whole purpose of a continuous-flow setup. You might as well be boiling in a kettle. Watch your thermometer near the take-off valve, check it with a hydro as it comes off, take off a little high, and adjust downward before bottling. You'll have your light syrup and be happy!

Russell Lampron
03-07-2019, 05:22 AM
I don't plug anything and let the evaporator do it's thing. You'll build a gradient once the evaporator is sweet and be able to draw off small amounts about every 20 minutes equalling about 3 qts per hour. If your pan is a drop flue you will need to plug the inlet to the front pan to keep the sweet from mixing with the sap in the flue pan when you shut down. Let the contents of the evaporator sit until the next boil.

Sugarmaker
03-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Yep like the others have said. You should be able to make lighter syrup by not blocking off and drawing syrup slowly when its ready near the exit port. I had this same issue as I had never learned how to boil syrup other than batch mode. The key is to have a good accurate thermometer at the draw off area. Manually draw until the temp drops a little close the valve, wait till it comes back up draw some more. Thats basically what autodraw off systems are doing. You can do this!
Regards,
Chris