PDA

View Full Version : surflow 115ac questions help!

5p4zz
03-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Got the bug real bad last year when I did 25taps and managed to make 20litres of syrup on a small stove and 16x16 propane burner.

Either way, I got some surflo 4008 pumps with 115v ac. No plugs on them which I was expecting. And its suggesting slow blow fuses?.

I can wire them just fine to some sort of plug wire kit. But a slow blow fuse? Never even heard of it. I was figuring I could just put an inline fuse holder with a 1.5amp ato.

Please chime in and help me out here.

Note: I'm going to be using one as a vacuume assist to my 3/16 gravity lines, and the other as a pump to move sap from my holding tank through a filter and uv system in my sugar shack

Thanks!

maple flats
03-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Just use a fuse rated at 3x the spec amps on the tag. Slow blow are available, but cost more. A slow blow will just take longer to blow, just as a slightly larger fuse will. 3x is fine and round to the next full amp rating if necessary.

5p4zz
03-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I see there are alot of people just wiring them direct without the fuse with no issues. But I'd rather protect my purchase. I'll go with an inline ato fuse. And we what I can find. Start with a 3. If it blows move to a 5 since I dont think they make a 4 or 4.5.

Thanks again.

Tater
03-08-2019, 10:38 AM
I don't think a fuse really protects the equipment. It is mainly to protect the wiring. I don't know what size leads you have coming off the pump, but I suspect it's 18 ga or larger, which would mean even a 10A fuse would be fine, provided you aren't trying to feed it with a 24 ga wire.