PDA

View Full Version : rubbermaid stock tanks

The Sappy Steamer
10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone use the black rubbermaid hundred gallon stock tanks for collecting sap?(I saw them at Tractor Supply) I was wondering if they impart any off tastes or if there is any down side to using them. I have used new galvanized ones but had a couple leak at the seams and was wondering if the rubbermaids were an option. They look real durable, but they have a very strong plastic smell to me

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-13-2007, 08:09 PM
With the color of them, they would attract heat worse and they are porous and easier for bacteria to collect. I have one and they are nice because they stack inside each other, but I only have it for a emergency backup or if I get some lower quality sap and don't want to intermix it, I will dump it in it.

royalmaple
10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I use them and don't have any problems, Biggest I found was the 300 gallon one I have in the woods. They are very rugged. They won't clean up as easy as stainless but easier to roll around than a bulk tank and less money too.

Russ Lampron has been using them for years, he's got several. And one more for me too in the pile.

Russell Lampron
10-14-2007, 06:20 AM
The Rubbermaid tanks work good. Clean it well before you you use it and clean it often during the season and you will won't have any problems. They do tend to get slimy at the end of the season so you need to keep the sap gathered. I use them in the woods and bank them up with snow (when there is snow) to help keep the sap cold. They will take a lot of abuse without leaking, are lead free and food grade.

Russ

royalmaple
10-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I thought there was another point about them that was pretty good to mention. Something about if your son worked for a company and he could get them when they were done storing water in them for free they are not too expensive? I might have that wrong but thought it was close to the point.

:-)

The Sappy Steamer
10-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I guess I'll try a couple then. I wash my tanks frequently anyway cause EVERYTHING I have gets to growing science projects as soon as it starts to warm up. I sure wouldn't mind washing as much if my tanks were the "previously enjoyed" economically feasible style. Thanks guys

Russell Lampron
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Matt I haven't used any of the ones that my son got for me yet but I was thinking about the other ones I have and how many of them I actually paid for. I have a Rubbermaid 100 gallon tank that I shelled out some cash for. I have 3 Rubbermaid tanks that my son saved from the dumpster at the job site he was working at, 2 300 gallon ones and 1 150 gallon one. I also have a North Country 150 gallon tank and 2 Rubbermaid 150 gallon tanks that my former son in law left behind when he walked out on my daughter. I have been using them since I have been sugaring and am happy with the results.

Russ

chipa
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I have one plastic tank(only 75 gallons) that was my original feed tank made by "freeland" . It has a smoth inside finish and cleans very well. Its easy to move
around. The only downside I see with these tanks , as others have mentioned, is the dark color; they need to be in the shade if used for tubing.

gmcooper
10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I recently saw some of the rubbermaid stock tanks in white. Maybe it was at Bascoms the other day or on the way home from there. Easier to clean and cooler.
Mark

GregMVT
10-16-2007, 04:20 AM
I picked up a used one at Bascom's several years ago. I have it bolted to a heavy duty carryall and only use it to collect sap at home. It has worked very well so far, unless I get it to full before pumping it down the hill to the sugarhouse.

Greg

maplecrest
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
one thing i have seen done, is large pastic sheets for a liner. and to change the liner turn it over when it gets bad then throw away.add new sheet. plastic sheets are smooth and can be cleaned. never tryed it myself.

The Sappy Steamer
10-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Would there be any merit in painting the outside of the tank white?