PDA

View Full Version : Hints for doing repairs out in bush?

to100
03-05-2019, 01:58 PM
When you replace a tee say for blockage? Do you have a tool to take out tee and then put in new or do you cut out tee and put in replacement? I don’t have a 2 handed tool.
Or if tube comes off fitting after freezing/thaw?
Seems to me when new tubing is put in they are pulled tight. Later return and cut out an inch or so and then insert new tee with 2 handed tool.
When you walk your lines for leaks, you are usually by yourself.
Insight welcomed. Thanks

mol1jb
03-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Sometimes the best answer is the simplest one. Get or make a 2 hand tool. I made one out of a one handed clamp for $50 and it works great. I did my first season with tubing without a tool and that was enough. It is a nightmare trying to join tubing under tension without some sort of mechanical advantage.

Buddy 58
03-05-2019, 05:56 PM
One thing I always carry with me is a roll of black electric tape , I have fixed a lot leaks and chews with it over the years . And leaves it marked for when I have more time to put in a fitting . A one handed tool , a sharp knife and a roll of tape and Im in the woods .

maple flats
03-05-2019, 07:26 PM
My leak fixer guy prefers to just carry a 1 handed tool and a pair of tubing grips. I don't know their official name, but they have 2 pieces of either aluminum or wood about 1/4-5/16" thick with a stout string (like a heavy shoe lace) joining them. In each there are 2 slots, one for 3/16 tubing and 1 for 5/16 tubing. Before cutting the lateral that set of tubing grips is attached to the tubing, one on each side of the repair and they are positioned so that as you cut the tubing, you have enough slack to work with and install the new fitting. Bascom in their catalog calls them tubing tension hooks. I have 4 sets, one with 3 pieces like what Bascom carries and 1 with just 2 holders and one each out of wood with 2 holders, but those are 3/16" in one set and 5/16 in the other, not interchangeable. I prefer the first 2 types, my repair man prefers the wooden ones. The difference in the 2 metal ones is that on one you need to clamp the second holder to allow the cut without losing the slack needed to put the new fitting in, the set with 3 holders allows you to attach one each side, then pull on the 3rd which acts like a pulley and creates slack at the old fitting, then you slide the third holder to hold it like that. On all of the others you attach one side, then pull some slack for working and then slide the second holder in place. Here's what Bascom has: www.bascommaple.com/item/tubth/tools/

to100
03-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Dave thanks for this info. I had one last year come off a connector. I finally got it together. Had to be a better way. I will get one so I hopefully won’t need it, also a new roll of electric tape. Thanks

blissville maples
03-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Yes tension grips work well, tool is much better and quicker but bulkier. Electric tape, some connectors and spare t's and taps usually do it. I've fixed broken y's, entries and all kinds of stuff with electric tape to get you by. As far as the tension grips with 3 metal grippers I use it as if there's two is Easier for me and less nonsense.
The other thing that I try to carry is survey tape to flag anything I can't fix or needs attention when time permits, hard to remember sometimes a week later where it was!!

Jeff E
03-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Blissville, we sound like brothers!
I have gotten to the point where I am really loaded down when I tap in the tubing woods.
Drill, bag of new adaptors, pouch for old adaptors, 2 pliers to take apart the clear adaptor and the black stubby (never again!!!), electrical tape for little nicks, bag of assorted fittings, such as stubbys, connectors, a few tees, end tree adaptors. One handed tool, tubing cutter, wire to clear plugged mainline to lateral lines fittings that may be plugged, about 12 feed of tubing around my neck. Survey ribbon to note big issues, such as hollow trees.

No wonder I sink deep even with snowshoes on! Its worth because walking a quarter mile for 1 issue sucks. And there are always issues.

maple flats
03-14-2019, 06:42 PM
I haul all of that, except I haul larger quantities. If there is snow on the ground the back up quantities go in a small jet sled. I made a rigid handle out of 1/2" EMT. When installing new or major repairs I use a large Jet Sled. I also made a rigid handle for that too, out of 3/4" EMP. If no snow I carry as 5 gal bucket with some supplies and I use a canvas type firewood carrier for the rest. However, when just chasing leaks I travel lighter, a few fittings in mu hoodie pockets, some tubing around my neck or over my shoulder a set of tubing grips and a 1 hand tool. (mine has a cutter on it). In the truck I also have a 2 hand tool "just in case".

Russell Lampron
03-14-2019, 07:02 PM
I carry a 5 gallon bucket with an assortment of fittings, a tap puller, a two handed tool, a small coil of tubing and linesman pliers. Maybe I pack a little heavy but I can make a permanent repair so I don't have to go back. I can ride the length of most of my mainlines with a four wheeler so I usually don't have to carry the stuff too far.

VT_K9
03-14-2019, 08:35 PM
I used a one handed tool yesterday for several tee replacements because it was what I had on my person at the time. I think a two handed tool is the best choice. Today I spent some time chasing small leaks...I think I am down to a few squirrel chews and will carry a one handed tool and two handed tool along with various fittings.

Mike