PDA

View Full Version : Syrup from last year

Ntatar
03-05-2019, 12:11 PM
I've got a half dozen bottles of syrup from last year. What should I do with it?

boil down and add to new syrup
keep in the bottle and hand it out with this year's syrup to friends and family
cook it down to make maple syrup candy, sugar, etc.

Galena
03-05-2019, 12:35 PM
If it's been heat-sealed properly and is ok, then why not just label it and keep it? Or just use it up? I have mine in my coffee, on oatmeal etc. FWIW I'm not a fan of mixing batches of syrup, I find each batch has its own characteristics. But you can always play around and chuck it in with some new sap if you want. If you're really desperate to get rid of it, then you can always just make it into sugar or candy.

Michael Greer
03-05-2019, 05:29 PM
I give it to the wife to make maple sugar.

goose52
03-06-2019, 04:13 AM
I've got great neighbors who always seem to be doing me a favor and last year's syrup seems to be easier for me to give away than the current year's! Also, left over syrup always tells me that it's time to make some maple glazed ribs with maple baked beans, maple apple sauce, and corn bread with maple butter for sides and maple apple pie for dessert! Dang! Now i'm hungry! Gotta remember to take my pit barrel cooker up to sugar camp on my next plowing/shoveling run.

tgormley358
03-06-2019, 06:18 AM
As “they” say, it’s a nice problem to have. I’ve made a habit of saving at least a couple of bottles from each year and enjoy seeing them up in the shelf as memories of past seasons.

maple flats
03-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Keep it separate and sell or give it away as seems right. I'm still selling '18 syrup, but it was sealed in a SS barrel until early Dec. I do not like to run out of syrup to sell.
Warehouses store syrup for 20 years sometimes, it's still good as long as it was good going in and was packed properly. My oldest is '18 vintage, except some stash in my cellar.

Ghs57
03-06-2019, 08:05 AM
I usually have syrup from one prior season, sometimes two. My personal supply, and any gifts/syrup for labor etc., come from my oldest inventory. New syrup goes to my best paying customers. I never mix batches. I still have a few jars which are older, which I most likely will not sell or give away. Because they were correctly hot packed, I have never had problem with spoilage.

Jake8484
03-06-2019, 08:36 AM
So you have 16 and 32 ounce plastic Bacon bottles that you filled in March of 2017 how long can you expect it to be good?

berkshires
03-06-2019, 08:46 AM
I don't get it. This year, last year, what's the difference? Can you honestly tell the difference in year old syrup? I'm happy to use my older syrup and give newer syrup to friends and family (I don't sell any of my syrup) but I really don't think it makes any difference.

Jake8484
03-06-2019, 08:56 AM
I was asking for myself as I was wondering how long it will last in those plastic bottles? Will it go 5 years? 8? I know it is fine for at least two years as I have used mine; it is is great. Just wondering how long if stored in Plastic bottles.

n8hutch
03-06-2019, 09:36 AM
I think that the recommend shelf life of plastic is generally a year. At least that would be a goal to not have anything in plastic for more than that amount of time. If you had bottled syrup in plastic in a cool dark root cellar or basement or refrigerator/freezer you might be able to store it longer. The idea in keeping anything stored for a long period of time is to keep its temperature consistent.

I'm not in any way saying that syrup in a 2-3-4 year old plastic container is not good. Its just a "best practice " if you will to limit your storage time in plastic. Syrup stored in glass or stainless properly has a very long shelf life.

BCPP
03-09-2019, 09:12 PM
I was asking for myself as I was wondering how long it will last in those plastic bottles? Will it go 5 years? 8? I know it is fine for at least two years as I have used mine; it is is great. Just wondering how long if stored in Plastic bottles.I would think the worst that might happen with plastic over years of storage would be a migration of water molecules through the plastic so all that might happen would be earlier formation of sugar crystals

maple flats
03-10-2019, 08:57 AM
To my knowledge plastic jugs suggest a 6-9 month shelf life, the oxygen barrier jugs might get double that, if not stored in a cool place. I pack for SS barrels several times a season and all syrup, once in a plastic jug is sold within 6 months max. Syrup packed in glass should be good for 20 yrs + if packed correctly and if it has a good seal on the cap. These all are only if you turn the container over for at least 30 seconds immediately after filling with 180 F or hotter syrup that is of proper density.

Daveg
03-10-2019, 10:36 AM
I've got a half dozen bottles of syrup from last year. What should I do with it?

boil down and add to new syrup
keep in the bottle and hand it out with this year's syrup to friends and family
cook it down to make maple syrup candy, sugar, etc.

All of the above.
Ball and Kerr jars have new lids. The're called SURETIGHT and have their logo below the word BALL. They recommend using the LIDS within 5 years of purchase and the seal is guaranteed for UP TO 18 months.

nasion
03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
You could always ferment it into wine. Tasty results!

Maplefrix
03-26-2019, 06:31 AM
I just tried homemade ice cream for the first time to use up last years syrup. Heavenly. Why didn't I try this before???

https://getinspiredeveryday.com/food/homemade-maple-ice-cream/

BCPP
03-26-2019, 07:08 AM
If properly packed syrop will keep for years although you may get some sugar crystalization at the bottom. However, on the other hand, a one year shelf life does make an excellent excuse for having to eat it and come up with creative ways to use it!!