PDA

View Full Version : ABS vs PVC - Calling Dr Tim

johnallin
03-03-2019, 07:29 PM
I'm ready to run the plumbing/ductwork for a new air injection system from H2O, and am curious if there is a difference between PVC and ABS pipe as far as contamination is concerned.

I know PVC is NSF rated and approved for potable water, where ABS is not. I'd prefer to use ABS due to it's cleaner look and finish, but knowing the air pumped through this system is going directly into my sap/syrup (doing both flue and syrup pans) I'm concerned with possible off flavor or worse coming from the ABS pipe. The blower has 3 charcoal filters, so no real concerns there.

Is there anything to be concerned about here. Thank you for any input.

maple flats
03-03-2019, 07:51 PM
I would not use ABS, it is not vergin material, it is made from regrind was used in most any of several less than food grade purposes.

buckeye gold
03-03-2019, 10:15 PM
I vote no on the ABS as well, it's made for drain and non potable water it's short for "All Bad Sh#t"

BAP
03-04-2019, 05:53 AM
ABS is basically a sewer grade pipe. I wouldn’t use it. If all you are looking for is the black color, paint the PVC.

DrTimPerkins
03-04-2019, 10:02 AM
You can get ABS that is made for water-potable applications, but most isn't, so probably best to stay clear of it. For air pipe (blower), how about using SCH 80 PVC (grey) pipe if you like the look of a darker color?

Realistically, I'd be more concerned about the glue. After you put it together, give it plenty of time to cure and off-gas and just run air through it for a good while before you start injecting the air into the syrup.

johnallin
03-04-2019, 10:39 AM
You can get ABS that is made for water-potable applications, but most isn't, so probably best to stay clear of it. For air pipe (blower), how about using SCH 80 PVC (grey) pipe if you like the look of a darker color?

Realistically, I'd be more concerned about the glue. After you put it together, give it plenty of time to cure and off-gas and just run air through it for a good while before you start injecting the air into the syrup.

Thank you Dr. Perkins.

Wow, I would have missed the glue completely. Never even gave that a thought, but I can see how it could have been an issue.

I did spend two hours yesterday with hot water and baking soda. Running it through and cleaning both the inside and out side of the pipes to remove any cutting oil and the painted lettering on the outside of the tube.

I appreciate the advice provided by all and will go with PVC for now. May replace with SS sanitary pipe at a later date. Just don't like plastic!

ennismaple
03-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Looks great!

Michael Greer
03-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Nice looking system. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it in operation. Take some notes and tell us all about it as things go along please.

DrTimPerkins
03-04-2019, 12:39 PM
I appreciate the advice provided by all and will go with PVC for now. May replace with SS sanitary pipe at a later date. Just don't like plastic!

They do make a water-potable black PVC Sch 40 pipe, but you better really want it...costs about 7-8X the white Sch 40. That'd buy an awful lot of flat black spray paint.

johnallin
03-04-2019, 04:08 PM
They do make a water-potable black PVC Sch 40 pipe, but you better really want it...costs about 7-8X the white Sch 40. That'd buy an awful lot of flat black spray paint.

Thank you again Dr. That's good to know.

For 8 X the cost though; I'd use stainless sanitary pipe, nice and shiny!

johnallin
03-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Looks great!

Nice looking system. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it in operation. Take some notes and tell us all about it as things go along please.

Thanks and I will let you all know.

johnallin
03-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Decided to forget about plastic and went with 2" stainless sanitary pipe and valves for the H20 Air Injector . Just finished putting it together.

Drew the design up Monday night and had H&M Maple Products in Burton do the fab work for me...amazing Amish owned shop - amazing people to deal with. Complete with stainless butterfly valves to throttle the air as needed between flue and syrup pans. Just could not get used to the thought of air going into my syrup through hot plastic pipes! Blower is outside with 2" stainless pipe running up along side the arch to the pans. Only need to find a stainless coupler with the o rings to replace the fernco fitting....

Two years thinking and reading about it, now I can't wait to see how this works. Thanks to Fred Ahrens for directing me over to H&M, even if he doesn't like clear filter presses ;-)

Grand kids are coming tomorrow to tap and will finally get the show on the road.

19637 19638 19639

TapTapTap
03-10-2019, 06:52 PM
May I reveal my ignorance and ask what the air injector does?

johnallin
03-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Hi Ken, no ignorance on your part. The short story -what I’ve gathered so far- is that by disturbing the sap at the bottom of the pan with air bubbles; it keeps the nitre in suspension and off of the bottom of the pan or flues.

1- Not allowing nitre to build up and stick to the pan bottoms makes for cleaner pans.
2- Eliminating the build up helps prevent scorched pans.
3- They say syrup can go up one grade - lighter - with an injection system.

I like all of the above. MT Member Russ Lampron “Red Roof Maples” has an amazing thread on this which peaked my interest two years ago. He built his own calls it the Bubble Master. Cool guy and great thread.

I hope this is helpful.

TapTapTap
03-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the information JohnAllin. I am very much a rookie at this sugaring stuff but your explanation makes sense. Good luck