PDA

View Full Version : Will pump freeze

steve J
03-02-2019, 05:03 PM
I did a test with shuffling pump today! Only couple trees running but it was pumping sap thru. My pump is on bottom of tote, and lines come in near top and exit near top. So there is some sap in lines and pump. Will this freeze with no harm?

DrTimPerkins
03-02-2019, 07:21 PM
I did a test with shuffling pump today! Only couple trees running but it was pumping sap thru. My pump is on bottom of tote, and lines come in near top and exit near top. So there is some sap in lines and pump. Will this freeze with no harm?

What kind of pump?

steve J
03-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Shurflo 4008

DrTimPerkins
03-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Sap freezing in that pump, like many pumps, can result in serious damage. Best avoided.

Biz
03-02-2019, 09:32 PM
I leave mine out all season. My controller automatically purges sap from the pump so it is not damaged during a hard freeze. You could also use manual drain valves to drain pump when you turn it off, or if that is not possible and you have access to AC power, use an incandescent bulb to keep it from freezing.

Dave

Green mtn maple
03-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Shurflo pumps don’t take freezing very well. Most will freeze and split. As (BIZ) States is controller and valve assembly work great. Best small scale automation I’ve seen. Flawless!!
Light bulb in an insulated box should help. If that your only option