PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2019

Mvhomesteader
03-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Last season i started a thread geared toward the back yard or hobbyist syrup maker that generated some nice conversation and information sharing, so I thought I would try it again this season (if the season ever gets started!). I welcome all backyarders to tell your story, share your seasons highs and lows, or whatever!

This is my fourth season making syrup, third here in Mount Vernon, northwest of Augusta. I use a concrete block arch with 3 steam trays in conjunction with a wood stove/steam tray as a warming pan. This setup will evaporate around 7 gallons per hour so I can easily get a gallon of syrup a day. If I start reasonably early enough I can push 60 gallons. This past summer I added gravel around the area to eliminate the spring mud pit, as well as a new wood shed for a cord of sap wood.

I collect in milk jugs attached to 5/16 spiles with a piece of tube and jute as a hanger. I drag a homemade sled (old generator frame on downhill skis) around with 2-5 gallon pails to collect. The pails go in a snow bank for storage or the shed of it is too cold outside.

This season we are trying to make 10+ gallons, which is more than we've done before. In February I thought this might be doable, but now I'm starting to get a little concerned about how this season might unfold. The past seasons have had a nice warm up in February, so I tapped a few weeks ago thinking this might be a trend. I couldn't have been more off. I've collected 10 gallons so far which I will boil soon, but the cold set in and the trees froze up. So I think, like everyone else, I'm waiting. My concern is a quick warm up and a short run, especially the longer it takes to warm up. I guess time will tell. I tend to be rather impatient so I probably should have waited a few weeks to tap, but I've read it really doesn't matter.

What's happening with other backyarders? Anyone getting any sap? What are your seasons plans? I look forward to reading your stories and best of luck to all!!

On the ledge
03-02-2019, 05:37 AM
I haven't tapped yet I'm in southwestern N.H.

seclark
03-02-2019, 06:41 AM
I'm in central N.Y. and like you I tapped when it was warm in February and it ran lightly for 2 days and then a deep freeze froze every thing solid and it has not thawed yet. It's a good thing I only tapped a few trees close to the house as with the snow it would be a bear to collect the sap. So I guess I am forced to wait like everyone else until it warms up enough to run. I made a barrel evaporator and my own pans and get 12 to 14 gallon evaporation on a good day, other wise it's about 10 or a bit more. Hope we all get to boil soon and good luck to everyone.

woodsy
03-02-2019, 06:42 AM
No taps in here yet. The extended 10 day surface temp forecast shows a warm up on or about the 12th so probably tap then.
The block arch is all dug out and equipment ready to go.
Snow depth is similar to last year 3-4 feet deep.
Only thing new this year is tapping Sugar Maples toward the back of the property. Its 1500' over some terrain and
bridge to get there but can tap less reds and less boiling is the objective with
the snowmobile takes the work out of collecting it.

Jfsugarbush
03-03-2019, 06:32 AM
We have 350 taps in and ready! Cold weather has nearly stopped everything. Taps on field edge and lines on sureflo vac are slowly producing. 60 gallons of sap in first weekend with a 2.2% sugar content. Hoping for thaw!

Mvhomesteader
03-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Today was a marker of what's to come. Even with 40 degree weather the trees are still holding back. I collected maybe 2 gallons off 23 taps but nothing to write home about. Like Woodsy said the warm up looks to begin after the 12th. I can't help walking around and wondering if the taps are in the right locations (relative to last years) since I am still new at this and used to a decent flow after tapping- not what is happening this year.

I will boil this week the 12 gallons i have, which at a brick 3 to 3.4 should give me strong quart.

I was reading in the Maple Sugar Book by Scott and Helen Nearing that they had a peculiar weather year in 1945 while sugaring in Vermont. They noted deep snow and temps in the low 30's in March 3. The temps shot up with rain over the next few days and over an 11 day period the lows were below 20 only three times. By March 15 The snow was gone and it was in the low 60's. Their sugaring weather lasted a fortnight with the resulting crop 1/3 of normal. Worst year in 100 at that time. They contrasted that with 1943 where the first warm day was March 26 with snow storms through April 23, making 3 times the syrup of 1945.

Which one will it be for 2019?

Ltr77
03-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Today was a marker of what's to come. Even with 40 degree weather the trees are still holding back. I collected maybe 2 gallons off 23 taps but nothing to write home about. Like Woodsy said the warm up looks to begin after the 12th. I can't help walking around and wondering if the taps are in the right locations (relative to last years) since I am still new at this and used to a decent flow after tapping- not what is happening this year.

I still haven't tapped her in Mount Vernon, and not even sure if I will next weekend. Days are still cold, and I don't mind missing a bit. I haven't seen any steam billowing out at LaRue's as I drove by Blake Hill road this weekend. Maybe I missed it.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
03-05-2019, 08:35 AM
We fit into the hobby category for sure. I am a Kindergarten teacher and we tap as a part of our math and science program. The students really do most of the work- we have 40 taps in various locations around campus.
We collect using a World War 2 ammo cart,sleds and five gallon buckets. We tapped 30 last week and have 10 more to go. It has been fun tracking the weather as part of class. We boil over an open fire in our sandbox. We are counting the days til warm up--literally we are leaning how to count with tally marks!

http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-n-school/19609

sap seeker
03-05-2019, 10:23 AM
We fit into the hobby category for sure. I am a Kindergarten teacher and we tap as a part of our math and science program. The students really do most of the work- we have 40 taps in various locations around campus.
We collect using a World War 2 ammo cart,sleds and five gallon buckets. We tapped 30 last week and have 10 more to go. It has been fun tracking the weather as part of class. We boil over an open fire in our sandbox. We are counting the days til warm up--literally we are leaning how to count with tally marks!

http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-n-school/19609

This is tremendous on so many levels, good on you teach!

Lukie
03-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Will start putting the taps out this weekend and hope the heater banks melt most of my trees are road side with tubing into 5 gallon buckets

Ltr77
03-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Will start putting the taps out this weekend and hope the heater banks melt most of my trees are road side with tubing into 5 gallon buckets

Me too, although I swear to you we still have three feet of snow in the woods, if you can get there over our 5 foot snow banks.

jrm
03-06-2019, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=I will boil this week the 12 gallons i have, which at a brick 3 to 3.4 should give me strong quart.[/QUOTE]

I can only dream of 3-3.4 sugar. The best I've had is 2.3. The first few years I didn't test. Typically was having 1.4-1.8. Nothing like boiling 60-80 gallons to get 1. Collected only 8 gallons so far, only had 3 taps in for the first 2 days.

Put 11 taps in last weekend. May be adding a few more end of the week. I'm seeing our temps here starting Friday and they look good for the five days after.

Decided to boil on 2 burner propane again this year, my son and I never got to building a new evaporator this year and he'd like to make some changes. Last year I used propane for the first time after shoulder surgery. There was definitely some appeal to being able to turn it off and go in for the night without all the fuss of wood.

KV Sappers
03-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Last year I used propane for the first time after shoulder surgery. There was definitely some appeal to being able to turn it off and go in for the night without all the fuss of wood.

JRM,
I agree whole heartedly. Propane is certainly not cheap but being able to turn the burners off and walk away is worth the cost for this very small time hobbiest.

Mitchman
03-06-2019, 03:17 PM
We have alway's used propane, have a brother who delivers it so i get it a little cheaper than most. If i filled my 10 gallon pan right to the top, turned it down just a smidge, i could go to bed at 9 pm and be out there at 4:30 am it would have an inch left to boil. Once i accidently made candy, to close, so i went out at 3 am poured it off, started another batch and went back to bed!!!!

On the ledge
03-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Going to put my 50 taps in Tuesday it's the latest I have ever tapped. Did propane for a few years now I have a small sugar shack and a 1/2 pint evaporator.

Mvhomesteader
03-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Interesting discussion on the use of propane. I can see the appeal for sure. My body isn't getting any younger. I use wood for several reasons, but mainly I just like working with wood. I have a lot of it around and since it is free and I enjoy working it up, it's my fuel of choice. It does commit you to starting early to wrap up by evening. I keep the "sap and crap" pile by the evaporator and put anything that will burn (solid wood, no plywood, etc) in the pile. Great place to get rid of goony shaped wood and pine!

On the subject of effort versus weather i decided to take the now 15 gallons and store it till next week after the warm up and anticipated sap run. Other than time boiling it takes as much time to set up, clean pans, finish syrup, etc for 15 gallons as it does 50. I think my time is better spent finishing some indoor projects and add the 15 gallons next week. It's partially frozen so it will keep.

A gentleman commented on the brix level i !measured. It usually starts out in the 3 range, but certainly doesn't stay that way all season. I will see that drop to 2 over a few week period.

Icefisher
03-06-2019, 09:44 PM
My partner and myself have been discussing switching to propane recently.
It definitely has an appeal to us.
Is there someone who makes a propane conversion kit for a leader half pint?

highlandcattle
03-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Since we left the farm and our 500 taps on vacuum...Ron taps our lawn trees. He got a propane fish fryer and it works good. He can have a wood fired set up,but he would be outside and not a good idea anymore. This way he can sit in his garage and use his Kindle while he boils

woodsy
03-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Set 24 taps today, only a few trees were dripping late afternoon But things are looking up for temps !

Jal-Bear
03-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Tapped about half of the 70-80 I plan to tap for the season this afternoon. A couple were dripping. Plan on getting the rest in tomorrow afternoon. Next week should be interesting!

On the ledge
03-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Tapped the trees around the house after work today. Hope to tap the woods trees tomorrow after work.

JohnsSugarShack
03-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Just finished putting four laterals up totaling 45 taps which go to a 100 gal tank, didn't tap yet but thinking about tapping next Monday. Still need to put up one more lateral with
10 taps and 15 on buckets. Had to shovel 4 feet just to set the tank on solid ground. Should be done by the end of next Tuesday. Been 15-20 degrees for past three days.

Ltr77
03-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Tapped the trees around the house after work today. Hope to tap the woods trees tomorrow after work.

I'm heading out now- it is great, it feels like Spring is right around the corner. Just another 4-5 months of winter and we will be there. :lol:

Peeper
03-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Hemmed and hawed about it because I really don't feel like digging up the icy snow to get to level ground for putting up the evaporator shelter. But knowing that I only had a gallon and a half left over from 2016, I gave in seeing how beautiful it was today and put in about 30 taps to start. Sap is averaging about 3.5% and was running nicely. I still have to dig out and set up the half pint, ugghhh!

On the ledge
03-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Just finished tapping 50 taps. Some were dripping already with any luck hope to be able to boil Tuesday.

Mvhomesteader
03-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Yesterday my son and I added 5 more taps, three in 12" trees in a more wooded, but not shady area. By the end of the day those trees gave up a gallon plus. I can't figure out why my standby trees, the ones that typically run 15 to 20 gallons per tree per season are not producing yet. They are even in some sun with a southeast exposure. I guess it must be lingering cold of the winter. I hope the warmer temps this week kick the flow into gear. With now 29 taps I am hedging against a short season by garnering more flow up front. Best case I'm wrong and get inundated. 22 more gallons to a boil.

My daughter who lives in the Port!and area had her first boil yesterday. She taps a neighbor's silver maple. Though the flow hasn't kicked in yet, it has sporadically provided 5 gallons. She put together a two pan concrete block arch recently and boiled down a pint+! Big improvement over the kitchen stove of last year.

Does anyone know how the snow pack affects sap flow? Is the high depth a retarded, enhancer, or neutral? Just curious.

woodsy
03-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Cold wind will keep the sap down. Had a few trees give up a couple Qts. Saturday. Those trees were sheltered from the wind.

Peeper
03-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Put in about 27 more taps yesterday for a total of 57 so far. Many more I could tap but I don't know if I'll have the time or energy. Finally shoveled out the area for the evaporator shelter while there was a good thaw after work today and set up an area for the 65 gallon tank above. Buckets are about 1/4 full from Saturday's run and should expect them to fill up over the next day or two.

dannyac500
03-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Been a slow start for me in So. ME as well. Got about 6 gallons after yesterday, temps got to about 41 for a high. I think the cool breeze really hindered the run yesterday. Hopefully things really kick into gear the rest of the week, it got down to 31 here last night.

Mvhomesteader
03-13-2019, 06:50 PM
This year is a hard won battle, at least so far. I see some others a slow starting as well so I'm in good company. I've got 32 taps on 30 trees with a handful of new ones this week. The new ones, including one today, are in the woods and are the best producers at around a third to half gallon each per day. The large standby trees that edge a field, southeast facing, are lackluster to date, though I have seen some signs of improved flow from a few. Maybe they need a longer stretch of sun and nice temps to shake off winters grip. I think I'll tap a few more wooded trees tomorrow to hedge my bet.

So I am collecting 5 gallons a day and will have, at that rate, 40 to 45 by Sunday, my anticipated first boil date. Beautiful weather for next week so maybe the flow will pick up!

troytravels
03-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Slow start in midcoast. I tapped twenty trees last weekend with disappointingly minimal (to nonexistent) flow until yesterday, when about half of my taps produced about 3/4 gallon of sap each. The other trees further in the woods are still just barely starting, if at all. Two inches of snow on the ground this morning and cloudy skies do not leave me hopeful, but I'm still planning to do my first boil early next week (because I'm out of syrup).

dannyac500
03-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Would have loved to see the sun today and full come home to full buckets. Fingers crossed i can collect 75-100 gallons by Sunday and have a decent first boill

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
03-14-2019, 01:00 PM
It is a labor of love collecting with a kindergarten class. In the last three days we collected 45 gallons of sap--all by hand.
Our first boil in the sandbox is underway.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
03-14-2019, 01:04 PM
It is a labor of love collecting with a kindergarten class. In the last three days we collected 45 gallons of sap--all by hand.
Our first boil in the sandbox is underway.

Mvhomesteader
03-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Well, today showed some promise! Collected 12 gallons with brix 3 to 3.2 and several trees that were slow goers started to flow. Still a couple of stragglers that usually flow well so I guess it's wait and see.

From what I'm reading in these threads it seems like coastal areas are doing better than inland. Warmer? Less snowpack?

Congrats to the kindergarten for getting 45 gallons in 3 days. Nice seeing the kids get involved. I just reached 40 today so definitely ready to boil this weekend

On the ledge
03-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Got 30 gal. from my 50 taps yesterday . Going to fire up the evaporator in a little while.

dannyac500
03-15-2019, 11:48 AM
I collected 20 gal off of 50 taps last night. Trees with snow around them still holding back a bit more.

Didnt check the sap, but mondays sap was 2.8%.

Peeper
03-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Yes a slow start indeed, but after one week of collecting off 73 taps I got 55 gallons for the week with the sap at 3%. Just starting the first boil this evening. That's plenty for me now. I've forgotten how heavy two 5 gallon buckets are over the up and down trails through the woods.

Page Meadow Maple
03-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Got 34 gallons of sap off 80 buckets on Thursday and Friday. Boiled it down today to about 4 gallons on my Leader half pint. Will finish it on a turkey fryer. At 3 brix, I am hoping to turn out a gallon of syrup tomorrow. Slow start. This time last year I’d already bottled 3 batches. Fingers crossed for some good runs ahead.

DRoseum
03-16-2019, 10:15 PM
South western Pennsylvania season is quickly coming to an end for 2019. Had a great season, had 35 taps, making 6.25 gallons so far on a custom built natural gas batch style evaporator. Also used a home-made RO. Made mostly golden light syrup, with some medium over the past few days.

Details on the evaporator and RO I built can be found here:
https://www.sugartree.run/p/sugaring-diy.html
https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/custom-hobby-maple-syrup-evaporator.html

woodsy
03-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Still froze up here. Sitting on all of 5 gallons sap which i collected one day last week.

Mvhomesteader
03-17-2019, 07:08 PM
South western Pennsylvania season is quickly coming to an end for 2019. Had a great season, had 35 taps, making 6.25 gallons so far on a custom built natural gas batch style evaporator. Also used a home-made RO. Made mostly golden light syrup, with some medium over the past few days.

It sounds like your weather conditions are quite a bit different than ours. I've got 32 taps and with the cold winter\spring will be lucky to get 3 gallons. Will take a look at your RO build. Always looking to improve the operation. Congratulations on your good season.

Mvhomesteader
03-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Still froze up here. Sitting on all of 5 gallons sap which i collected one day last week.

Hang in there Woodsy-the thaw will work it's way up the road. In the past few days I've seen several trees that were slow starters give up some decent sap volume. I collected 12 + gallons today which defied expectations given the weather.

The first boil of the year netted 1.5 gallons of 50 gallons sap so a 3% sugar content. I used sap that I have had on ice for three weeks but all tasted great. Hopefully this week wil be a good run!

bprifle01
03-17-2019, 07:25 PM
I put in 12 taps on Thursday evening and I've collected 41 gallons of sap since then. Boiled for a couple of hours today. Reduced about 12 gallons down to around 4. I'm planning to boil for a while every evening this week. Only have a couple of hours of daylight after work so I'll have to try to get a good boil going as soon as I can after work.

bduhamel
03-17-2019, 08:11 PM
First year taping trees. I have 40 taps on downspouts. Collected about 8.5 gal this week and boiled that today. Got about 32oz but I think I should have boiled longer, it is pretty watery but still delicious. After boiling I went down to check my buckets and got another 8.5 gal from just today. Best day yet by far. Hooked!

Peeper
03-17-2019, 08:12 PM
How sweet it is. Just finished off the first boil and got 1.75 gallons. Also added another 15 gallons of 3.5% sap today with the short run. Let's see what this week brings...

jrm
03-18-2019, 01:04 PM
I've boiled twice. Once this past Saturday, 17.5 gals yielded 28oz. The week prior 17 gal yielded 40oz. Because of the weather, I was able to take advantage of discarding ice in my buckets to help reduce my boil. Yesterday, I calculated 4 gals. This is all from 12 taps on 11 trees. My sap runs have never been as high as others speak of here, but I still like my gold.

woodsy
03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Still dumping small amounts sap from gallon jugs daily. Not enough to collect.
Looks like Wednesday things might turn around and start running good.

West Sumner Sugar
03-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Had a good run today on our Lewiston run. 65 taps gave up almost 35 gallons. One run of 25 taps was filling a 5 gallon bucket ever 90 minutes.

Mvhomesteader
03-18-2019, 08:00 PM
First year taping trees. I have 40 taps on downspouts. Collected about 8.5 gal this week and boiled that today. Got about 32oz but I think I should have boiled longer, it is pretty watery but still delicious. After boiling I went down to check my buckets and got another 8.5 gal from just today. Best day yet by far. Hooked!

Welcome to a great spring hobby/pastime/ritual/obsession (it fits in many categories). I'm still perfecting the final boiling process with the equipment I use. I boil on the large evaporator to 216/217 then dump the pan into a pot and bring it inside for final boiling on the kitchen stove where I can control the temperature in a more "delicate" fashion. I found it takes perhaps another 30 to 45 minutes to finish boil. I've started to boil to 220 and as soon as it hits 220.5 pull it off and filter. It gives us a syrup with a viscosity we enjoy.

Also a comment to JRM from the Boston area: you are fortunate that you have that many trees to tap in an urban area. I started tapping while living in a subdivision where I had limited trees and they were all red maples, but the syrup was great. If I stayed I think I would have started tapping neighbors trees! (with permission of course).Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

jrm
03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Also a comment to JRM from the Boston area: you are fortunate that you have that many trees to tap in an urban area. I started tapping while living in a subdivision where I had limited trees and they were all red maples, but the syrup was great. If I stayed I think I would have started tapping neighbors trees! (with permission of course).Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Yes, I am fortunate. We have some woods and back up to conservation space. I could probably tap more of our own trees, but I have to decide if I could keep up. I do look at the beautiful maples in the conservation area, but, of course, have to keep my hands off.

highlandcattle
03-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Ron has tapped our 4 trees. Our friends red maple didn't do anything,so pulled it. Buckets are full right now. So far boiled 15 gallons. Very light like last year. At least it's giving him something to do.

Mvhomesteader
03-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Well the past few days have been, shall I daresay, normal. I've collected 65 gallons over four days with each day increasing. Today was 24 gallons off 32 taps flowing, and all the trees I had questions about have woken up, a few to the point that they drop like a bad faucet! Still a few woods trees, particularly red maples, that are slackers but I'm sure they will come on. Sugar content measures 2.8 to 3.4 so far.

I'm saving the 65 gallons for Sunday and have an epic boil in honor of Maine Maple Sunday-this is realistically the most I can do in a reasonable length day. This will be the second boiling. I hope everyone who have been waiting patiently for this season to begin start to see their trees wake up now that the weather has turned!

On the ledge
03-21-2019, 03:43 PM
I got 50 gallons today. will be boiling tomorrow.

woodsy
03-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Collected a few gallons of sap yesterday from 24 taps.
Probably see twice that by days end today so finally getting thawed out.
Wishing I had waited on tapping because with gallon jugs you should either collect or dump them at days end so you
don't end up with blocks of ice in the jugs . So been dumping them daily for two weeks because there wasn't enough to collect.
The few Red Maples haven't given anything yet.

Peeper
03-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Just added 65 gallons from Monday through today to bring this year's total sap collection to 130 gallons to date. Now for the Friday night boil off in the rain tomorrow evening through Sunday. That's all she can hold and she can't hold no more 'till we trim the fat from the tank and boil off what's standing in the evaporator from last Sunday. Good thing I didn't put in the other 45 taps.

Jal-Bear
03-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Collected enough sap between yesterday and today to boil for 4 hours this evening. Many of my trees that have produced well in the past are just starting to thaw out.

Mvhomesteader
03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
As I read other people's comments it appears that the waking/warming up of the trees is a notable slow process this season. I saw on the New Hampshire page where someone in the southern white mountain region noted this as their latest start in 15 years. Looking ahead to next week's weather I see from Friday on is in the 50's daytime and 30's at night which would perhaps signal a close to the sap run, making this Sunday to Friday the last hurah. Perhaps those in higher elevations and further north will go longer as temps in those areas are cooler than here.

In any case I will plan on this being the last week. I'm fortunate to have had a good run till today and have 113 gallons bucketed for boiling, 60 Sunday and 53+ Tuesday. The 60 is brix 3, I haven't measured the 53. If I can get a good run next week perhaps I can pick up another 100 over 5 days. I'm glad I tapped extra trees a few weeks ago as the season may be shorter than I had hoped. Good luck to those of you who's trees are finally waking up!

Peeper
03-23-2019, 07:44 AM
That lovely 65 gallons that I collected late Thursday evening has since turned into 30 gallons. No, not by evaporation, but by falling prey to yesterday's rain weakening my "Old" sawbuck that it was perched on. I came home from work eager to boil, only to find my 65 gallon polyethylene tank rolled down the hill and half empty with some now dirty sap that needs to be filtered after I build a "New" stronger sawbuck. Oh the joys of backyard sugaring and spring mud!

woodsy
03-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Finally getting a full blown flow today. Had some full gallon jugs by 3 PM from an empty start. All trees tapped are giving now.

Peeper
03-25-2019, 09:34 AM
I just collected 40 gallons from yesterday's run, which (almost) replaces the 40 I lost out of the tank on Friday; with the sugars at 3.5% and the few reds at 2.5% ... And it's a boilin' right now. I boiled the 30 on Saturday and got a nice gallon of light amber. I took the day off (as I'm an S corp and subcontract) to try to boil down some of the remainder plus what I collected this AM. The next 4 days look very sappy.

Jal-Bear
03-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Yesterday was great, picked up 65 gallons. Hopefully we can a few more runs like that.

Peeper
03-25-2019, 12:18 PM
As I type this, I'm enjoying fresh light amber straight off the evaporator on my waffles for lunch! Just drew off 2 more gallons of light amber at a temperatureof 220 and 65 brix, and still boiling more. That was worth the morning's effort!

Run Forest Run!
03-25-2019, 12:28 PM
As I type this, I'm enjoying fresh light amber straight off the evaporator on my waffles for lunch! Just drew off 2 more gallons of light amber at a temperatureof 220 and 65 brix, and still boiling more. That was worth the morning's effort!

That's livin' the life Peeper. I bet they were the best waffles you've ever eaten. Warm, fresh syrup makes everything taste fantastic!

Peeper
03-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Finished the boiling at about 5:45 PM with yet another gallon light amber draw off. Only managed to get about 8 gallons of sap in today's run, but cut more firewood in the interim. Just enough to calm the boil at the last draw. Total sap so far this season, 190 gallons (minus 40 spilled on Friday) for 150 usable; and approximately 5 gallons of syrup. Now for some rest (or work) the next few days to see what will happen next weekend.

Mvhomesteader
03-25-2019, 07:22 PM
I feel like Fred Sanford on the 70's sitcom "Sanford and Son" - this is the big one Elizabeth. If your my age or older you might be familiar.

Nice to see all who were waiting finally get some sap. Enjoy....!

I boiled for the second time Sunday and got 1.5 gallons from 50. I have almost exhausted my storage capacity and have 140 gallons waiting for boiling. Made a quick bucket run to Hannaford, Shaw's, and Wal-Mart which netted another 28 gallons of storage so I've got a couple of days. I'll boil several days this week to try and catch up and free up some 5 gallon buckets. Sunday's run netted nearly 40 gallons of the 36 taps, and I see the sugar varying between 2+ to just under 4. Hopefully a good week!

I feel Peeper's pain on the loss of his sap. Every time I lift a pan off the evaporator or carry the pot back into the house to finish I think about the horror of dropping a days work. I'm sure there are stories....

On the ledge
03-25-2019, 07:58 PM
I only got 20 or so off my taps the way it was running early yesterday I expected more. Not looking like a banner year for me.

Mitchman
03-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Loved that show myhomesteader, Ole Aunt Ester with the evil eye!!!!

Mitchman
03-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Hi Karen!!!! Glad to hear from ya!! I am not even tapping this year, way to much work for what's flowing, which is next to none!!!! Huge snow pack, bad temps, so i will just get everything set for next year, nice sugar shack, a good pan etc. but still like to hear what others are doing. I'll chime in often!!!

Mvhomesteader
03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Boiled for the third time Tuesday and got over 1.5 gallons off 55 gallons sap. It's interesting that the sugar content seems higher this year at least than the past few-I'm too new to have a long history. I've been measuring my taps and have a bunch near or at 4%, another group in the 3 range, and a third group 2 to high 2's. The average seems to be 3 as I keep getting 3% syrup from whatever volume I boil. I've never had this level of return. I do have 4 trees that have dropped to less than 2, so they are going in a separate bucket for later/last.

I believe some others are seeing higher sugar. Anyone have an explanation? Love to know.I

I've still got 126 gallons on tap with 30ish coming in daily, so fourth boil Friday and then probably Monday after the rainy weekend.

Peeper
03-27-2019, 07:37 PM
40 Gallons collected today from the Tuesday/Wednesday run, just to ease tomorrow's collecting. That's assuming the southwest wind doesn't hamper the run tomorrow. Then around here it's rain and too warm the next 3 days, so hopefully we'll boil this off. Monday and Tuesday could bring a little, but I'm not counting on it. Could be "taps" 19863after this boil, as far as light amber goes. We'll see...

woodsy
03-27-2019, 08:00 PM
First boil here today. Picked up a gallon . then this evening picked up only 6 gallons sap from 24 taps .
Trees are confused with temps all over the place. 45* this afternoon and only a 1/2 dozen trees gave up anything. but it was
down to 8*overnight. 10* the night before.
I recall boiling as late as April 20 many years ago so there is still hope.

Run Forest Run!
03-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Hi Karen!!!! Glad to hear from ya!! I am not even tapping this year, way to much work for what's flowing, which is next to none!!!! Huge snow pack, bad temps, so i will just get everything set for next year, nice sugar shack, a good pan etc. but still like to hear what others are doing. I'll chime in often!!!

Hi Mitchman. You sure have restraint! I can't believe that you didn't poke a few holes in some trees. That took guts!

Peeper
03-28-2019, 06:37 PM
We got lucky today and collected another 35 gallons to overfill the tank for starting the boil tomorrow evening, weather permitting.

Mvhomesteader
03-28-2019, 08:09 PM
We got lucky today and collected another 35 gallons to overfill the tank for starting the boil tomorrow evening, weather permitting.

I agree with the "luck". We bucketed 46 gallons, our best day yet, bringing the storage total to 169 gallons. At 3% that should yield 5 gallons of syrup, so I've got work to do. I expect a good run Friday and slacking off over the weekend. That would be fine as I need to catch up. I'm out of storage. Boiling tomorrow will free up some buckets😃

Jal-Bear
03-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Best run of this season today, collected 80 gallons. Sugar content has been at 2%, which for me is great. Years past usually anywhere from 1-1.5%. Boiled half of it this evening, will get the rest tomorrow. Looks like not much going to happen this weekend.

Peeper
03-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Finished boiling off the 80 gallons from this week yesterday and today plus 16 gallons collected today from the red maples (sugars didn't run). Drew off 4 more gallons to the finisher, and managed to bottle 5.75 gallons of Golden delicate (light amber) with more to be finished after the next boil's draw off (assuming we have a boil and run this coming week).19894

Mvhomesteader
03-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Fourth boil of the season which surprised the heck out of me. We ended up with 1.75 gallons off 53 which is a 3.3% sugar. Too bad each year can't give sugar like that. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I did a little research in "The Maple Sugar Book" which I felt on for its historic view of sugaring. The authors quote a Vermont Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin No. 103 from 1903 stating "the carbohydrate foods (starches, sugars, etc) are all manufactured in the green leaves under the influence of the sunlight. It is important to emphasize this fundamental point, because the sugar content of the sap depends upon the conditions of the preceding season as to sunlight and leaf development." C.H. Jones is quoted from the 22nd Annual Report of the Vermont Maple Sugar Maker's Association, 1915, "The formation and storage of sugar in the maple tree is dependant on sunshine and moisture conditions of the previous summer." Also " A large leaf area on well exposed trees results in increased sugar storage and richer sap. "

The science makes sense, but those descriptions are not quantifiable. I can't see how in October I would be able to make a prediction. I suppose a review of historical weather in summer versus sugar content in spring (if one kept those records over many years) might make predictions possible. Or once I figure out how to control the weather and sunshine I can manage my sugar bush!

Mitchman
03-31-2019, 02:51 AM
You've come along way Grasshopper!!!!!!!!

Mvhomesteader
03-31-2019, 07:14 PM
You've come along way Grasshopper!!!!!!!!

Kung Fu, that was another of my favorite 70's shows. Fondly remember watching it with my father and practicing my "moves" to " Kung Fu Fighting"!

awpoolco
04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
In my area, Hampden, it isn't looking good for temps below freezing from here on out. Tell me its not over!!!!!!:cry:

DrTimPerkins
04-02-2019, 02:00 PM
The science makes sense, but those descriptions are not quantifiable. I can't see how in October I would be able to make a prediction. I suppose a review of historical weather in summer versus sugar content in spring (if one kept those records over many years) might make predictions possible. Or once I figure out how to control the weather and sunshine I can manage my sugar bush!

As always, sap sugar content is not that simple for a number of reasons. One is that the sugar we collect from trees is not simply that which was made the previous year, but is an integration of sugar made from several years, along with the varying degree of hydraulic conductivity (functioning) of the vessels which carry sap. Sap doesn't come from just last years wood ring, but from several. In fact, the average age of sugar extracted from maples is around 3-4 yrs old.

Despite that, we are having some success at teasing out the factors controlling sap sugar content. For example, we know that drought has a big effect, as does really hot temperatures in the preceding summer. We are still working on deducing the most important factors, and then will move on to how they interact (much more complicated). Bottom line is, we know quite a bit, but have lots more to learn. Once we come up with a decent model, we might actually be able to forecast sap sugar ahead of time. Until then...best we can say is...maybe it's important.

Mvhomesteader
04-02-2019, 07:16 PM
As always, sap sugar content is not that simple for a number of reasons. One is that the sugar we collect from trees is not simply that which was made the previous year, but is an integration of sugar made from several years, along with the varying degree of hydraulic conductivity (functioning) of the vessels which carry sap. Sap doesn't come from just last years wood ring, but from several. In fact, the average age of sugar extracted from maples is around 3-4 yrs old.

Despite that, we are having some success at teasing out the factors controlling sap sugar content. For example, we know that drought has a big effect, as does really hot temperatures in the preceding summer. We are still working on deducing the most important factors, and then will move on to how they interact (much more complicated). Bottom line is, we know quite a bit, but have lots more to learn. Once we come up with a decent model, we might actually be able to forecast sap sugar ahead of time. Until then...best we can say is...maybe it's important.

Thanks Tim! I had no idea that I am extracting sugar 3-4 years old-that's fascinating. I would inquire how that fact was ever determined but I would guess the answer is bigger than "post" size. I can see that modern research has better defined/refined the more esoteric concepts of 70 years ago. That being said, I still find it remarkable how accurate the general understanding of nature was back in the day. Those early pioneers were working with a lot less technology.

DrTimPerkins
04-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Not all the sugar is 3-4 yrs old. Some is 1, some 2, some 3....some (less) is 25. All depends how much was stored in a particular year, how much was moved in/out later on, and how well any particular ring (year) functions in terms of sugar storage and sap movement.

Peeper
04-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Sugar is starting to decrease on most trees, with an average of 2.5%. A few were 3.5%, and a few were 1.5%. But we did manage to squeeze 25 gallons into the tank today. It's a crap shoot.

highlandcattle
04-03-2019, 06:49 AM
Ron is still hoping for a few more days. Real iffy. 10 taps. Have 65 gallons so far at 2%. Looks like a good day today. High winds for around 1 pm. Was 20 here last night. Syrup at least has some color and flavor compared to last year. Our sugar maple is in horrible shape. Had it trimmed last summer of all the dead branhces. Had seen alot of grubs in bark. Sap suckers have drilled huge holes in ot. Poor thing. Not looking good. Went to several maple events the last couple of weeks.

Mvhomesteader
04-03-2019, 07:18 PM
We boiled for the fifth time Sunday, reducing 65 gallons to within a cup of 2 gallons syrup. Once the trees thawed out they haven't stopped, and given this odd late season I'm grateful. I've got 65 gallons set for Friday and Sunday sitting in a snowbank behind the shed (The one good thing a metal roof can do is make big snowbanks). With the sugar content dropping and buds getting bigger, as well as a warm weekend, I'll probably collect through Friday and call it good. The trees are still pumping out 25+ gallons a day. To date my wife and I have done 8+ gallons of syrup from 273 gallons sap and frozen 18 gallons of sap for later tea, etc.. Strange but not too bad season so far......

Mvhomesteader
04-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Our sugar maple is in horrible shape. Had it trimmed last summer of all the dead branhces. Had seen alot of grubs in bark. Sap suckers have drilled huge holes in it. Poor thing. Not looking good. Went to several maple events the last couple of weeks.

Glad to hear you've got some sap to work with. Too bad for your tree, though.

General question for anyone who knows: can the sap sucker cause compartmentalized areas in maple? Or is the hole they still not deep enough to be a problem? What experience does anyone have with tapping near these holes? Thinking ahead to next year.....I've got one of those trees though it is in nice shape.

rolosrevenge
04-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Hi, this is my second year as a back yard syrup maker. This year I ran 7 primary taps; 3 between my two sugar maples and 4 on my neighbor's silver maple (more on this tree in a bit). I also tried another 5 taps between 3 box elders. The box elder syrup never tasted right. It always had a strange fruity bitterness to it, the early syrup and the late. I'll not tap them again. My sugar maples seem to have a pretty decent sugar content, and boil down to a little less than 40/1 sap to syrup ratio.

The neighbor's tree, the silver maple, seems to be a major outlier. It's over 5 feet in diameter. It has really sweet sap. When I taste the sap of the silver vs the others, I can tell that it is markedly sweeter than sugar maples. It boils down to a 30/1 sap to syrup ratio. I didn't believe it the first time I boiled, so I boiled it to a 35/1 and it all crystallized. And this tree also puts out over 2.5 gallons of sap a day per tap. A single tap on it overflows five gallon a bucket in 2 days, with this sweet sweet sap, that makes delicious, sweet, light amber syrup. I know I'm inexperienced with sugaring, but this tree seems to outperform everything I've ever read about maple trees and syruping. Has anyone ever experienced a tree that produces like this?

DrTimPerkins
04-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Large trees (tall and big) growing in the open, with good growth rates, can produce a LOT of sap and sweet sap. No competition for nutrients, water, or sun. They are definitely NOT the same as your typical "woods" trees.

rolosrevenge
04-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Large trees (tall and big) growing in the open, with good growth rates, can produce a LOT of sap and sweet sap. No competition for nutrients, water, or sun. They are definitely NOT the same as your typical "woods" trees.

Ah, that makes sense. This tree is in their front yard and dwarfs anything in a several house radius. They don't really have anything growing close to it either. He even said it's roots have broken into the city waterlines. It's truly a hobbyist's gem.

DrTimPerkins
04-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Ah, that makes sense. This tree is in their front yard and dwarfs anything in a several house radius. They don't really have anything growing close to it either. He even said it's roots have broken into the city waterlines. It's truly a hobbyist's gem.

As you might guess, trees growing on top of a septic system tend to do very well also. :lol:

rolosrevenge
04-04-2019, 12:46 PM
As you might guess, trees growing on top of a septic system tend to do very well also. :lol:

Maybe its roots have gotten into the sewer line and not the water line...

Mitchman
04-04-2019, 07:01 PM
As an installer of septics, tree's love getting their roots into the lines. We have fixed many a backed up system, just by digging up the tank and checking the inlet and outlet lines. I have seen an outlet pipe so packed with roots nothing could pass through!!!! Change out the pipe, fill it back in and everyone is happy again. the tree maybe not so:o

Mvhomesteader
04-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Maybe its roots have gotten into the sewer line and not the water line...

Two items of interest:

1. My daughter who lives in the Portland, Maine area and taps her neighbors silver maple. She has the same experience you have had, and her syrup tends to be light colored. As Dr. Tim mentioned, this tree is out in the open with no competition.

2. Tree roots, from trees of all sizes, will search for water or moisture sources underground. Especially with older gravity sewer piping such as clay tile and Orangeburg pipe, roots find their way into either cracks or joints in the pipe and proliferate in the new found moisture supply. They will grow to fill the pipe and then, obviously, create a clogging point. Not so much with newer (circa late 60's) PVC pipe as the joints have rubber gaskets and don't let roots in readily. I had a septic system in my last house where maple roots snuck into the inlet baffle of the tank and created a nice little clog. Tree roots are not an issue for municipal water systems. These pipes, typically ductile or cast iron, have gasketed, tight joints. If a root were to break in, which is unlikely, water would immediately break out since it is under pressure, the leak would be dug up and repaired, and the root removed in the repair process.

Enjoy the remainder of your season!

woodsy
04-05-2019, 05:46 AM
Anyone else boil outside yesterday with the wind blowing 30-40 mph ?
That will be one to remember. Had a 75' Pine tree come down about 100' away. Craaaaack !
Will be finishing the 60 gal. boil today under more favorable conditions.

BCPP
04-05-2019, 05:59 AM
That will be one to remember. Had a 75' Pine tree come down about 100' away. Craaaaack !
On the bright side you have lots of firewood nearby for next year! We had those winds on the day before. Our evap is in a small shed but even so was difficult to maintain a good boil. Everytime I added firewood some flames would lick out the loading door which never happens so I'm thinking the wind was providing back pressure down the stack. Ran for 8 hours and only got 7l of syrop. Compare to yesterday where I got more than 14l!

woodsy
04-05-2019, 06:33 AM
On the bright side you have lots of firewood nearby for next year! We had those winds on the day before. Our evap is in a small shed but even so was difficult to maintain a good boil. Everytime I added firewood some flames would lick out the loading door which never happens so I'm thinking the wind was providing back pressure down the stack. Ran for 8 hours and only got 7l of syrop. Compare to yesterday where I got more than 14l!

That pine does make good fuel for boiling. The wind blew so hard here that the stovepipe blew over . Took the conc. block it was tied to with it.

Mark B
04-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Only in this 3 years now but I don't ever recall a winter / spring here in central Maine with so many windy days. half my taps are on vacuum and half are just gravity into buckets (28 buckets in all). Seems like all Ive been doing is chasing flying buckets. they all have logs and bricks on them now. Just crazy windy so far with poor temps. Fortunately the next few days look good.

billyinvt
04-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Some of us with drafty sugar houses had interesting boiling experiences too. I had items blowing off the walls and dust, leaves, bark flying around and in through the cupola.

woodsy
04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Only in this 3 years now but I don't ever recall a winter / spring here in central Maine with so many windy days. half my taps are on vacuum and half are just gravity into buckets (28 buckets in all). Seems like all Ive been doing is chasing flying buckets. they all have logs and bricks on them now. Just crazy windy so far with poor temps. Fortunately the next few days look good.

I've noticed that the wind has increased too. Mt Washington has seen some record winds recently, 120 mph Wed. night and 170 mph once last month.
Blow downs have been supplying us with plenty of firewood for heating and boiling sap the last couple years.

Mitchman
04-05-2019, 04:30 PM
That same wind folded the U.S.Cellular tower on top of Sugarloaf!!! They figure it was over 150 mph, can't be positive though as the wind meter was also detroyed and that was good for 100 mph. :cry:

Peeper
04-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Another 67 gallons of 2.7% sap collected since Monday's short boil. Mostly off the 67 sugars. The 21 red's buds are starting to swell & are tapering off. Fortunately, I only had one bucket blow off a tree in yesterday's wind, but it was definitely strong.

Mvhomesteader
04-05-2019, 07:43 PM

You're braver than me. I thought about boiling Thursday, took a look at the weather forecast, and bailed till Friday. I agree on the pine for firewood. I've got tons of the stuff and it burns hot fast.

I collected 38 gallons for my daughter to boil at her place, boiled 60 gallons today into another 1.5 gallons of darker syrup, and with the trees still producing clear (though lower sugar) sap my wife said keep collecting and boil Sunday and Tuesday. Bless her........one of these days I've got to stop and get to work on something else!

woodsy
04-06-2019, 06:49 AM
You're braver than me. I thought about boiling Thursday, took a look at the weather forecast, and bailed till Friday. I agree on the pine for firewood. I've got tons of the stuff and it burns hot fast.

I collected 38 gallons for my daughter to boil at her place, boiled 60 gallons today into another 1.5 gallons of darker syrup, and with the trees still producing clear (though lower sugar) sap my wife said keep collecting and boil Sunday and Tuesday. Bless her........one of these days I've got to stop and get to work on something else!

Yeah probably won't do that again but all my sap storage was full and with temps in the teens overnight was set to freeze up
if i waited another day.
My clothes were permeated with smoke and steam by mid afternoon.
The wind overhead may have been out of the NW but down on the ground it was all over the place.
Came up with 5 qts , slightly darker than the last batch.

Peeper
04-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Pulled off 22 more gallons of sap over the weekend. Had a big boil over yesterday & today and managed to finish off and bottle 2 3/4 gallons of amber, with the remainder in the evaporator to be finished when I have time this week. That's 8 1/2 gallons finished syrup (plus whats left in the evap) out of 335 gallons of sap collected this season. ...And I'm seriously thinking of calling it "taps" after this, as leaf cutter bees were doing the back stroke today in one of my buckets - my cue to bow out. I'm sugar bushed!

Mark B
04-08-2019, 07:30 AM
I've noticed that the wind has increased too. Mt Washington has seen some record winds recently, 120 mph Wed. night and 170 mph once last month.
Blow downs have been supplying us with plenty of firewood for heating and boiling sap the last couple years.

Ive got to clean up quite a bit of deadfall and thin the firs out of my bush. That is if the ticks don't carry me off first. The snow just cleared out on part of the property and I already had a tick on me.

Mvhomesteader
04-08-2019, 06:57 PM
...And I'm seriously thinking of calling it "taps" after this, as leaf cutter bees were doing the back stroke today in one of my buckets - my cue to bow out. I'm sugar bushed!

Ditto on the "calling it taps." I'm seeing some kind of fly/ bug getting into my sap jugs. I see them every year and it is a signal that time is running out. I'm boiling 65'gallons Thursday for the last hurah which should put me at 12.5 gallons from 468 gallons of sap, not including the 38 gallons I gave to my daughter and 18 gallons in the freezer, so 524+/- total. No wonder I'm tired. That's 105 trips with a 5 gallon bucket just to get out of of the woods. No ticks here yet.........

Peeper
04-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Just bottled off the dregs of the evaporator & ended up with 1.8 gallons of Dark.
88 taps (67 Sugar Maples and 21 Reds) gave 335 Gallons of Sap (still could give more but I'm calling it "taps"19991
yielded a total of 10.5 Gallons of syrup as follows:
5.75 Gallons of Golden Delicate (plus the 16 oz I consumed on waffles off the evap)
2.75 Gallons of Amber
1.8+ Gallons of Dark

(Lest we forget, Lost the 40 Gallons of sap collected that would've yielded a Gallon+ of Light due to the rain & tumble of the tank earlier in the season)
A 3.1% sap average for the season. I'd call that a good year.

That's all folks for 2019. Done. May the drippings be with you!

Jal-Bear
04-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Mid-week looks good, but I'm calling it a season. Finished up the last batch today. Ended up with a season total of just a tad over 14 gallons, all amber. The increase in sap sugar content really made up for the late start. Cleanup time!

to100
04-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Peeper, Don’t feel bad about the spill I toasted 1/2 gallon of near. I was lucky I could clean pot with a lot of elbow grease and discovered ‘bar keepers friend’. In my second year, before RO.

to100
04-08-2019, 10:37 PM
I just had my best week ever. I upgraded to RB10, added new line with 5 taps, raised up bottom under flue pan with fire brick brick with a ramped front, used distilled water to make a heavy batch perfect, and a lot of little things from that made it easier. Also a lot less wood, time to do everything.
Used 12volt pump to move sap up to arch and could pump to basement on a cold day to RO and then up to arch. I just carry down near Syrup. And can send up permeate up to soak pan help clean.
Thanks

woodsy
04-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Its been a frustrating sugarin season here with some trees productive and others not. I know I am not alone.
With 24 taps out for 1 month I expect to wind up with 3 gallons syrup after a final boil Thursday so on par with last year at least.

No ticks yet with 99 % snow cover still but we did have the pleasure of a visit from Barred Owl while
finishing last weeks boil. It stayed perched in a sunny side Pine Tree for a couple hours
behind the shack. Also saw a Mink one afternoon recently as it came across the field and snooped around the house some.
Bobcat sighting from the house over the winter too. That was a first in almost 30 years.

Sugarin can be tough sledding at times but its always nice to get out and enjoy some spring temps and nature after another tough winter.

Lukie
04-09-2019, 10:27 AM
I think I will pull this weekend we may get one more run Thursday and I don't think the trees have started to bud yet so far 20 gallons not bad for a late start. Any one else waiting to pull ?

In da bush
04-09-2019, 03:30 PM
The weather keeps doing whatever it wants, after umpteen changes to the forecast I’m going to boil Friday and see what the outlook is then. It’s looking like I will pull taps this weekend unless I see some promise in the 7 to 10 day forecast.
I think I will pull this weekend we may get one more run Thursday and I don't think the trees have started to bud yet so far 20 gallons not bad for a late start. Any one else waiting to pull ?

Mvhomesteader
04-10-2019, 08:09 PM

As I was getting ready for my "final" boil Thursday I was noting the nice run occurring today. Since I haven't pulled any taps, I collected 13 gallons of clear sap, a few jugs of which tasted sweet. Of course it became apparent that with two more good sap days left I could collect enough for an encore boil Sunday. I was going to boil 65 gallons tomorrow, so if I cut that back to 55 (easier in a day) that puts 10 more to Sunday, so I only need 30 or so more. I can skip the budding red maples and just do the sugars. But Sunday is it, really. I will be washing buckets as I boil.

woodsy
04-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Sap was running faster than you could boil it today. 2 gallons + on some taps
Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.
I expected to finish up today for the season but didn't happen.
Sparking up another fire in the morning.

Mvhomesteader
04-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Sap was running faster than you could boil it today. 2 gallons + on some taps
Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.
I expected to finish up today for the season but didn't happen.
Sparking up another fire in the morning.

No kidding! I went back to the same tree three times to get almost a gallon each time. Easily set aside my highest daily return, and at that did not take sap from several budding red maples that had full jugs. Woodsy noted that he hasn't seen anything like it- I haven't been at it long enough to make a comparison, but I'll note it for the record book.

Finished the eighth boil today with a return of 1.25 gallons of dark syrup from 55 gallons sap, with a yearly total at 12.25 gallons. Started pulling taps and will finish that Sunday while on the last boil.

Run Forest Run!
04-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Looks like you guys in Maine are having a gusher! Fantastic!

Mitchman
04-12-2019, 07:46 AM
You sound like a blueberry raker myhomesteader!!! Look to the left and see a sea of blue, might as well pick em!!!!!!! And your out there till dark!!!!

Mitchman
04-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Some yes and some no Karen!!! Depends on where you are!!! The 2 guy's i know who are cooking say it's getting very dark, the count is down, and they worked some hard for it!!!!

Mvhomesteader
04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
You sound like a blueberry raker myhomesteader!!! Look to the left and see a sea of blue, might as well pick em!!!!!!! And your out there till dark!!!!

I just can't give up the free resource! I DID remove 34 of 38 taps today, but kept four sweet ones for bottling/freezing and saved 20 gallons to add to the garden this spring as a nutritive experiment. Lots of good minerals you know!

Peeper
04-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Once again, I'm proven out to be a liar. It happened three years ago, and it happened this year. I call it taps, we got 3 crappy snow days, and the buckets overflowed. I lugged in 62 gallons and we're on the proverbial encore boil this evening & tomorrow - after I cleaned the finishing pan. In an attempt to lighten the finished product of the late flow, I also cleaned the evaporator pan as well. We'll see how it turns out. Then... with the forecast as it's sitting, can I PLEASE call it taps?... I need to get the house back in order and relax a little.

Peeper
04-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Encore boil finished and bottled! 1.75 gallons of dark out of 67 gallons encore run = 2.6% sap. Cleaning the pans probably kept it from being very dark?? All in all, that brings the total product for 2019 up to 12 gallons (a new record for me - esp. with 25 -30 fewer taps.) out of 402 gallons of sap as follows:
5.75 gallons Golden
2.75 gallons Amber
3.5 gallons Dark

20018 TAPS!20023

Mitchman
04-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Good for you Peeper!!!! We still have a lot of snow here, and ice still on the pond, be a few weeks before we hear them singing?? Can't wait!!!

Mvhomesteader
04-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Final boil today resulting in a gallon, quart, and 3/4 pint from 55 gallons of sap, 2.44% sugar content. Interestingly it was lighter than the last batch we did with less solids. I have a suspicion that the previous batch might have been a little old.

So, in total: 498 gallons of sap boiled, 13.6 gallons of syrup, average 2.7% sugar (ranged from 2.24 to over 3); collected 600 gallons of sap for a variety of purposes, so each tree produced on average 15.7 gallons over 38 taps. The last tap I pulled, from a large sugar maple along the road, was still producing 3% ssc.

Lessons learned:

1. Tapping early is OK. I tapped around the 14th to 18th of February thinking the season would be like 2018.

2. Don't panic if things don't seem right. I fretted early on that my taps weren't placed right, and in some cases I added a tap in a tree when the one I had placed wasn't performing well. In the end it wasn't placement at all, just the slow start that everyone was seeing.

3. Even though tapping early was OK, waiting till the weather looks more favorable to sap flow will be something I will do next year.

Improvements for 2020:

1. Mortar the concrete block arch and brick liner. The bricks work great. Two seasons now with no cracked block.

2. Reconfigure the arrangement to add one more pan. I think I need to lengthen the blocks by a half block to make it work. A extra pan could put the boil rate near 10 gph.

3. Get more 5 gallon buckets for storage.

Well I guess that does it. Bees on the way in a month so I best get those hives finished; raspberry beds to re-frame; tractor shed to build; garden to plant; pine logs to get milled; barn to re-side, etc. Everyone enjoy summer and see you all next season!

Mitchman
04-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Looks like you had a great year Karen!!!!!!