PDA

View Full Version : Bulk storage

doocat
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Can you hot pack a barrel a portion at a time? I was told that you can hot fill a barrel a portion at a time until you get it full and then seal it as the syrup will sterilize the barrel as it goes up.

Any truth to the rumor?

Pete33Vt
10-12-2007, 03:34 AM
Thats what I do all the time. On a very rare occasion do I fill a barrel the day its started. Sometime I will even hold a barrel say if its medium A and then I drop a grade or two I'll pull it out of the way and then start on it again when color improves. When its full its usually hot enough to seal. Then I roll it around the sugarhouse then retest my density. Never had any problems.

brookledge
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I put up my bulk in kegs and always hot pack the entire keg at the same time. I believe the larger the container the less likely you will have problems. But for me I some times keep them more than a year and when I open them its just like it was the day it went in.
I have seen 55 gallon drums at Bascom's that look like a bomb went off inside them because they were so bulged out. I was told that syrup fermented inside them.
It probably has alot to do with where it is stored and what temps. it is exposed to
Keith

802maple
10-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Mosy of the time it is low density. As a buyer for Maple grove you wouldn't believe how many barrels come in 2 to 4 points light. When I was making 15 to 20 gallons a day I would just fill barrels as they come and sometimes I would keep them more than a year with out any problems. I would always go back though and make sure the barrel was completely full with no airspace, that in my mind is the key

fred
10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
your right i have a collection from a deceased sugarmaker from the 60's and 70's i have tried it and it tastes like it was made yesterday.it is more important to make it right than to hurry and fill the container

maplecrest
10-13-2007, 12:50 PM
A good rule to be sure is, if you cannot fill a drum that day. leave it 10 gallons short and fill the next time you made grade to top. the ten gallons will be enough to hot pack the drum.