PDA

View Full Version : Thawed frozen sap after a week or more in tank

tgormley358
03-01-2019, 08:11 AM
To boil for the first time last night in our cold weather I had to thaw the sap in my 110 gal SS head tank and the outlet valve with a heater. The sap was sitting in collection tanks for a few cold days til I gathered it and pumped into my head tank on Monday, for a total of 7 days. It froze the top 4-5” in the tank so I hoped the cold would help it keep 7 days or more. The sap still looked nice and clear last night. There’s still ice in the remaining 50 gallons which I’ll finish tonite or tomorrow while temps are still freezing. I’ll toss whatever ice is left tonite. I have another 30 gal frozen in my 210 gal poly truck tank which will probably not thaw for another week as next week is staying cold here. Will that still be good to boil or will I have to toss it? Looking forward to warmer temps here after the 8th.

Tom

seclark
03-02-2019, 08:08 AM
I would think it would be good if it's that cold. What I have done in the past if I was unsure about the sap is to take about 2 cups and boil it on my stove until it was almost syrup and taste it, if bad a least you would know before boiling all the rest. I know you will not get much boiling just 2 cups but you will get a teaspoon that will tell you enough. Hope this helps.